Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 787 Words
  • 1,672 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 25. Chapter 25

This is the next in the monthly prompt series I am completing with Cole Matthews. Please be sure to check out his response in "Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight".

*Chapter warning* The prompt is about offensive language, and as such, contains offensive language. I did not sugarcoat the offending terms, so please keep that in mind while reading.

Prompt: What’s the most offensive thing you’ve ever heard someone say?

 

I stood on tiptoes and peered through the metal bars lining the top portion of the stall. The animal inside bit into the large pile of hay piled in the corner, then lifted its head to stare at me. It snorted, spraying hay, dirt, and goo all over my brand-new shirt.

Laughter erupted next to me, and I looked over to see a boy my age doubled over. “That means he likes you,” he stated.

I grimaced. “Great. I don’t want to know what he’d do if he hated me.”

The boy grinned. “Raven don’t hate nobody. He’s the nicest horse in this place.”

I nodded. “I can see why. He’s beautiful. He reminds me of The Black Stallion.”

The boy laughed. “Well he sure don’t run like no racehorse. That’s why he’s good for beginners. My name’s Jamal, by the way.” He stuck out his hand.

“Kevin.” I shook his hand, happy to have made a friend so soon.

“This your first time here, Kevin?”

“Yep. I’ve never been away from home for so long. I’m nervous, but excited. I love horses, so spending a summer with them is way cool.”

“I hear ya. This is my third summer here. You’re gonna love it!” He pointed to a stall across from Raven’s. “You gotta see Paco. That’s the horse I want to ride this year. He’s an appaloosa—an Indian horse. He has lots of spots.”

We headed over to check out Paco. A crowd of other campers already stood in front of his stall, so we waited until a spot opened before we moved close enough to see him. One of the larger boys elbowed his way in front of us, stealing our spot. Jamal had to take a step backward to keep his balance.

I scowled. “Hey! We were here first!”

Jamal shook his head and tugged at my sleeve, trying to pull me away from the stall.

The large boy turned and sneered. “What’s it to ya?”

I gulped. This kid could easily pulverize me, but I figured if I didn’t stand up to him now, he’d make my summer miserable. Maybe he would anyway.

“Wait your turn! We want to see the horse. Jamal wants to ride him this summer.”

The kid spit on the ground. “We’ll see about that. I already asked for that horse. No fat, black nigger is going to get what I want.”

I stared at him, my mouth hanging open. I’d heard that word before and knew about prejudiced people, but had never experienced it firsthand.

Jamal turned and walked away. The sad look on his face made anger flood through me. “Don’t call my friend that! Jamal is a better person than you’ll ever be!” I yelled, then jogged after my new friend.

I put my arm around his shoulder. “What an asshole.”

Jamal looked at me. “So you’re still my friend?”

“Of course I am. Why wouldn’t I be?”

He grinned. “Let’s go see if we can get bunks near each other.”

“Yeah!”

*****

After dinner, I sat on the bunkhouse steps and watched the rest of the campers kick a ball around. I had eaten too much so decided to wait until my tummy wasn’t rumbling quite so much before joining in. One of the counselors approached and sat next to me.

“Are you OK?”

I nodded. “I just ate too much.”

“I thought you might be upset by what happened in the barn earlier.”

“What do you mean?”

He turned to face me. “I heard what Dave said to Jamal. You did a good thing, sticking up for him.”

“Oh. He’s my friend. I couldn’t let someone say such an awful thing about him.” A tear fell down my cheek. I guess I was more upset than I realized. “How can someone hate someone because of the color of their skin? Jamal is so nice.”

“Some people aren’t as nice as Jamal is. I’ve worked here for a few years now and know him pretty well. He’s a great kid. But something to consider is why Dave said what he did. He learned it from somewhere, and my guess would be his parents. So my suggestion would be to teach him something different.” He squeezed my arm and headed over to the ball game.

I thought about what he said, and I felt a wave of pity for the boy with prejudiced parents. He was being taught wrong. And I wondered what else his parents were teaching him that was bad.

“Kevin! C’mon! We need a goalie!” Jamal yelled.

“Coming!” I stood and jogged over to my new friend.

Thanks for reading!  We'll be back in April with another joint prompt response.  :) 
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That's certainly offensive.  Dave learned the word somewhere, and the sentiment behind it.  It's amazing what people will say, especially privately when they don't expect to be called on it.  Great job Valkyrie!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm thinking they are up against something more than merely poor parenting. To be that comfortable spewing such vile words to me means coming from a place where it's more widely accepted. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I read that it’s better for your health if you say something rather than stay silent and regret seeming to be complicit in the hatefulness. But only if you will be physically safe! It’s not worth a trip to the hospital.  ;-)

 

When I was homeless, it hurt me to hear that word tossed around by many of the other residents at the shelters. But it was almost exclusively used by African-Americans. Sometimes as a kind of term of endearment, but often as an insult. I hated to hear them use that word!

 

In my neighborhood, it’s not uncommon to hear someone screaming across the street, ‘Hey B****!’ and have a young woman turn to the friends who called her with a happy smile as if the term didn’t mean what it does. I understand the concept of turning an insulting word around, but some words are just too painful to hear. Yes, those are the ones that need it the most, but it still bothers me to hear them.

Link to comment

Kevin has already undermined the Daves authority by calling him out on his words and by calling Jamal his friend . People like Dave very seldom have friends and those around him are aware of this . 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 3/31/2018 at 10:53 AM, Cole Matthews said:

That's certainly offensive.  Dave learned the word somewhere, and the sentiment behind it.  It's amazing what people will say, especially privately when they don't expect to be called on it.  Great job Valkyrie!

I was floored when I heard it.  I couldn't believe anyone would talk to another person that way.  Thanks, Cole.  This was an interesting prompt to write and think about! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 3/31/2018 at 11:08 AM, Puppilull said:

I'm thinking they are up against something more than merely poor parenting. To be that comfortable spewing such vile words to me means coming from a place where it's more widely accepted. 

This is based on an actual experience.  I don't remember much about the girl who said the horrible remark, but I'll never forget the look on the girl it was directed at's face.  I hope she eventually learned the error of her ways.  Thanks for the comments, Puppi.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 3/31/2018 at 3:07 PM, droughtquake said:

I read that it’s better for your health if you say something rather than stay silent and regret seeming to be complicit in the hatefulness. But only if you will be physically safe! It’s not worth a trip to the hospital.  ;-)

 

When I was homeless, it hurt me to hear that word tossed around by many of the other residents at the shelters. But it was almost exclusively used by African-Americans. Sometimes as a kind of term of endearment, but often as an insult. I hated to hear them use that word!

 

In my neighborhood, it’s not uncommon to hear someone screaming across the street, ‘Hey B****!’ and have a young woman turn to the friends who called her with a happy smile as if the term didn’t mean what it does. I understand the concept of turning an insulting word around, but some words are just too painful to hear. Yes, those are the ones that need it the most, but it still bothers me to hear them.

I understand what you mean.  I don't think I could ever consider those words terms of endearment, no matter the context.  Thanks for reading and commenting.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 4/1/2018 at 1:45 PM, deville said:

Kevin has already undermined the Daves authority by calling him out on his words and by calling Jamal his friend . People like Dave very seldom have friends and those around him are aware of this . 

Speaking like that to people is definitely not the way to win friends.  Thanks for the comment :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I don't like to be around people that are prejudiced people. He did the right thing taking up for Jamal. He is on the right track having a great life with lots of friends who can trust him to protect them. He was raised right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
16 hours ago, Sherye said:

I don't like to be around people that are prejudiced people. He did the right thing taking up for Jamal. He is on the right track having a great life with lots of friends who can trust him to protect them. He was raised right. 

:yes: I'm sure he'll be a great person, and maybe even have a friend for life with Jamal.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..