Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 990 Words
  • 2,159 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 8. Prompt 522 - The Zombie Part 2

This is a continuation of the previous chapter. I would suggest reading it prior to this one. Again dedicated to LBO and The Putrid One - aka Zombie :)

Prompt 522

First line: “Please, I have to see him.”

 

“Please, I have to see him.”

The hospital worker stopped dead in her tracks, peering into the shadowy corner under a small overhang not far from the hospital’s entrance. The hole in the zombie’s throat had widened since the last time she saw him, causing his barely audible voice to whistle as most of the air he used to speak escaped through the opening in his trachea. The greenish tint to his skin was even more pronounced, as was the stench. The virus was progressing quickly.

The woman gagged and paled; her skin almost alabaster against the cerulean blue hair dye. “I don’t think that’s the best idea,” she stated hesitantly. It had been two weeks since the putrid creature had given her his son for safekeeping.

The infant had been in the initial stages of zombieism; however showed no signs of the virus after two Pepsi treatments. He had recently been placed in foster care with the hospital worker who had saved him. She was so moved by the baby’s plight and the father’s concern that she couldn’t bear to part with him. She had spent all her free time during the past two weeks visiting with the precocious infant and had fallen in love with him.

“Besides, he’s not here anymore. He’s been placed in foster care.”

The expression on the zombie’s face as he slid down the wall dejectedly broke the woman’s heart. Dark crimson tears slid down his saggy, ochre cheeks and fell to the ground, ignored. “He’s all I have left. If could just see him one more time before…” the former man’s despair was evident, despite his vocal difficulties. “It gets harder every day to remember them.” He laughed, although there was no humor in it. “That’s probably a good thing. It hurts to remember. Especially Robert.” He broke down into wracking sobs, causing a wave of putrescence to invade the poor woman’s senses.

She turned away from the distraught creature and vomited. “He’s in a good place and being well taken care of. You don’t have to worry about him.” She wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her lab coat. “It’s not too late for you, you know. Please let me help you. I’m sure Andrew would love to see his father again.”

“It’s too late for me.” The zombie shook his head, causing a piece of skin from his cheek to go flying.

“No, it’s not. There’s still a lot of human left in you. I can see it. You seem like a good man.”

The woman’s words produced even greater sobs from the zombie. He sniffled, then looked at her with eyes so filled with pain she took a step backwards.

“A good man doesn’t do what I did.”

“The virus causes behavior that—“

“It doesn’t matter! I can’t blame the virus for this! I keep seeing Robert’s face as I—“ He stopped abruptly, closing his eyes and clenching his fists. “I deserve what the virus is going to do to me. I just want to forget.”

“Who is Robert?” the woman asked gently.

“He was my partner. I…I…I couldn’t stop the cravings. He was right there and I…oh God…I couldn’t stop myself!” He took a gasping breath. “I killed him. When I was done, there wasn’t anything left for the virus to animate. I suppose that’s good, though. He isn’t resigned to my fate. That’s when I brought you Andrew. I couldn’t risk the same thing happening to him.”

“It’s not your fault…you have to forgive yourself. Let me help you. For Andrew’s sake.”

“Don’t tell me it’s not my fault. I can’t live with the guilt. I deserve my fate. Please just leave me to it. I just wanted to see my son one more time.” He stood shakily. “I guess I don’t deserve even that. Sorry to bother you.” He lumbered across the parking lot slowly.

“Wait!” The woman jogged after him, reaching him in a few strides. “Will you get help if I promise you can see him?”

He lifted his head, the first spark of hope she had seen in him making him look almost…human. “You know where he is,” he stated.

She nodded. “Yes, I do.”

“I don’t know…I’m so scared. I won’t be the same person, even if the cure works. I’m not sure I can handle that or the things I’ve done.”

“At least try. Andrew needs his father. He misses you.”

“You have him, don’t you?” He looked at her levelly.

“Yes. He’s a remarkable boy.”

“Why do you care what happens to me? I’m just a zombie—not even a person. I don’t deserve compassion.”

The woman’s expression softened. “Let me be the judge of that. Besides, I think your son might disagree.”

“Do you really think I can be cured? I thought treatment wasn’t effective in the later stages?”

“You seem human enough for it to work. I wouldn’t wait much longer, though.”

“You think I deserve forgiveness?” The hopeful look on the zombie’s face made her want to hug him if he wasn’t so pungent.

“I think we all deserve a second chance. What you did was because of the virus. It wasn’t your fault.”

“I wish I could believe that.”

“How about we take the first step together?” She held out her hand.

“Aren’t you afraid you’ll become like me?”

“It’s not transmitted by simple touch.”

“You’re not worried I’ll attack you?” he asked as he placed his hand in hers.

“I’m more worried about the smell.”

The zombie’s laughter produced a wave of putrescence from the hole in his throat, which increased in intensity with each giggle. The hospital worker held her breath, hoping she’d make it through the entrance before she passed out from lack of oxygen. She also hoped it wasn’t too late to save her new friend.

Please let me know how you liked the continuation of the zombie's story. I appreciate all likes and reviews very much! :) Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh I am happy to see this Val!! You can't say you wont finish it now!!! It's a great fresh look at a very familiar genre. I love it..
tim

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/13/2016 08:48 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Oh I am happy to see this Val!! You can't say you wont finish it now!!! It's a great fresh look at a very familiar genre. I love it..

tim

Thanks, Tim :) The first line prompt was tailor made to continue this story. I'm glad you like it so much. I'm starting to become rather fond of the poor zombie myself. ;)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/13/2016 08:51 AM, Slytherin said:

Yay - there is hope for this zombie, what a nice story ! :) Love it :2thumbs:

Thanks :) Yes, there is hope. We'll see what the future holds. ;) Glad you liked it!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/13/2016 11:22 PM, Puppilull said:

I hope he can be saved! Even though I can't imagine living with his guilt... Poor zombie...

Yeah, me either. :( We'll see what next week's prompts are and if they inspire a continuation. :) Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment

save the zombie! save the zombie! *waves placards* :P
"The infant ... showed no signs of the virus after two Pepsi treatments" :angry::lol::funny:
More please Val :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/20/2016 12:03 AM, Zombie said:

save the zombie! save the zombie! *waves placards* :P

"The infant ... showed no signs of the virus after two Pepsi treatments" :angry::lol::funny:

More please Val :)

I think it's going to take a lot of Pepsi to save the zombie, if he's able to be saved... ;) I do plan on continuing. I just need a suitable prompt. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment

Aw, this was great Val! Loved it.. You will save him right? Even if it might take an entire ocean of Pepsi..

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/24/2016 11:18 AM, Defiance19 said:

Aw, this was great Val! Loved it.. You will save him right? Even if it might take an entire ocean of Pepsi..

Sorry for the late reply...somehow I missed your review. This week's prompts look promising for continuing the story. We'll see what happens to zombie dad. Thanks for reading and leaving a review!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/18/2016 05:27 AM, dughlas said:

I really like your approach to the zombie genre ... it's fresh.

Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
7 hours ago, Sherye said:

Now that made me grin real big! I loved it! 😁

Thank you!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..