Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,808 Words
  • 5,001 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hollow Hills - 16. Chapter 16

Galen

After the wedding, preparing for an upcoming trial for my job took all of my time. It was the worst possible timing as far as my personal life was concerned. I was upset about Ethan, even more so because he wasn’t returning any of my phone calls or texts. I knew it was over between us. It made me sad because he really was a very sweet man. He deserved much better than I could give him.

After three days of Ethan not returning my messages, I called Jody. “Hey, Jo. Have you heard from Ethan? I’ve been calling him for days, and he hasn’t returned my messages. I’m worried about him.”

Jody sighed. “He needs some space right now, Galen. I’d just leave him alone for now.”

I frowned. “Why? It’s really important that I talk to him.”

“It’s up to him to tell you why. Look, I’m at a job site, and the customer just showed up not looking too happy. Later.” He hung up.

I threw myself back into work, trying desperately to take my mind off of Ethan and Josh.

*****

Later that night, I lay in bed staring at the ceiling, absently stroking Tigger’s soft fur. He purred and flipped onto his back so I could pet his belly. I looked at the clock on my nightstand and groaned. It was 3:25 in the morning. I debated giving up on sleep and doing more work but decided against it. My thoughts were all over the place. Ethan, Josh, Jamie, Jody…even my cousin and Alannah. I pushed thoughts of all of them out of my mind and tried to concentrate on my court case.

I was looking forward to being in the courtroom. The majority of lawsuits that we brought or that were brought against the company I worked for, were settled prior to going to court. There was a part of me that wished I had gone into litigation instead of corporate law. I loved trials. I found the feverish pace of countering evidence and changing strategies last minute in response to opposing counsel’s gambits very provocative. Law and Order was my favorite TV show outside of cheesy romance movies. Jamie was the one who had his heart set on corporate law. The pay and the hours are much better than those of litigators. I suppose I took the easy route, but I was generally pretty happy with my career.

My thoughts returned to my soon-to-be ex-boyfriend. I loved Ethan, but I knew in my heart that it wasn’t the same way he loved me. I felt bad about that. He really was a great guy. He was hot, great in bed, and very sweet. I knew that he had been hurt very badly in the past, and I felt horrible that I was hurting him again. He didn’t talk much about his ex, but Jody had filled me in on what happened. Ethan dated a guy for two years before he found out that he was being used as a placeholder until the guy’s boyfriend returned from studying abroad. Ethan thought they were in a committed relationship and was prepared to spend the rest of their lives together. He was crushed when he found out that he was ‘the other man’. I hoped he didn’t feel the same way about me. Occasionally he’d try to talk about our future, but I always changed the subject. The truth was, I was just enjoying the moment with Ethan. I didn’t want to think about the future.

Poor Ethan didn’t deserve to bear the burden of my denial of my feelings for Josh. The parallels between his ex and me made my stomach churn. Maybe I hadn’t exactly been cheating on him, but my lack of honesty with myself made me feel like I had.

I was confused as to why Ethan was ignoring me. It didn’t make any sense. He always returned my texts and calls immediately, and we talked every day, even if we didn’t see each other. I was irritated that Jody wouldn’t tell me why. It was obvious he knew. I decided I’d call him in the morning and drag it out of him, since Ethan wouldn’t tell me himself.

I turned onto my side, pushing Ethan out of my mind in favor of Josh. I couldn’t stop the smile that spread over my face as I pictured him in his tux at the wedding, remembering the feel of his arms around me and his hands on my skin. I drew Tigger close to me, producing what I swear was a dirty look for disturbing his sleep. He stretched, then curled up into my side, purring contentedly.

Josh was a puzzle to me. I didn’t understand his relationship with Roger. Why anyone would put up with such a one-sided relationship was beyond me. I spent a lot of time at the farm and had yet to meet the man. I wondered if I’d see any changes in Josh if we were to pursue a relationship. According to Liam, Josh was very private, even with Alannah. From the brief time I knew him, I could tell he wasn’t very free with his thoughts or emotions. He opened up to me, though. Telling me about Blackjack was a huge step for him, even if I did have to wrestle it out of him.

The next step was getting him to realize what an asshole Roger was. I was pretty confident that major strides had been taken toward that goal. Josh’s demeanor after Roger stood him up at the wedding broke my heart. I had never seen him so dejected. The hurt in his eyes and slump of his shoulders left no doubt in my mind that it was the impetus Josh needed to finally dump the bastard. I hugged Tigger even closer when I thought of Josh’s words when we danced. I never want you to let me go. I didn’t plan on it.

*****

I hit the ‘save’ button on the document I was working on and closed my laptop in triumph. I was finally done with all the preparation for the trial the following day. It had been a hellish two weeks since Caroline’s wedding. I was looking forward to visiting Buck and having dinner with my friends before heading to Boston the following day for the courtroom. I also couldn’t wait to see Josh.

When I arrived at the farm, I briefly said hello to Buck before heading up to the house. Liam and Alannah were seated at the kitchen table and Josh was removing something from the oven. “Hi guys.” I grinned and kissed Alannah on the cheek before walking over to Josh. “Need any help?”

He shook his head. “Nah. Everything’s ready. The roast just needs to rest while we eat our salads.”

“Ok.” I sat at the table as Josh served the salad. “I can’t tell you how happy I’ll be to have this trial over. Keep your fingers crossed for a good outcome tomorrow.”

“Good luck, Galen,” Josh said.

“Will you just be gone for the day, then?” Alannah asked.

I nodded. “Hopefully the case will be resolved quickly. I don’t really want to drive back up there on Monday.”

I couldn’t help stealing glances at Josh every chance I got. I felt like a hormonal teenager with his first crush. Every time I looked at him, a smile spread involuntarily over my face. After two weeks of being left to my own devices for dinner, Josh’s cooking tasted like heaven. I was growing as a cook, but I was so busy I had reverted to my usual standard of take-out and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. After eating dinner, Liam and Alannah retreated to the living room, leaving me alone with Josh. I fiddled with my napkin as I worked up the nerve to ask the question that had been on my lips all evening.

“So Josh…would you like to go see a movie with me this weekend?”

My cousin chose this moment to enter the kitchen, glass in hand. He frowned. “Oh boy…” he muttered, then retreated back into the living room.

“Well, gosh, Galen, I’d love to.”

I grinned, and my heart soared.

“But I’m leaving for Roger’s cabin on Saturday. I’ll be gone for two weeks. We go every year for the beginning of hunting season. I’d be happy to go with you when we get back.”

I flinched as if I had been physically struck. “What? I thought you broke up with him after he stood you up at the wedding.”

He frowned. “He had an emergency and couldn’t contact me. He feels really bad about it.”

“Are you kidding me? What about our dance? Didn’t that mean anything to you?”

“Galen, we’ve been through this already. I can’t leave him.” He looked like he didn’t believe his own words.

“Are you kidding me? What does he have to do to get you to see what kind of man he is?”

He scowled. “You have no idea what kind of man he is. You’ve never even met him.”

“That’s right. How long have we been friends now? I’m over here all the time, and I’ve never met him.”

Josh looked at the table and didn’t respond.

“When’s the last time you even saw him?” I was glaring at him, even though he continued to avoid my eyes. He muttered something so low I couldn’t hear it. “I can’t hear you.” My voice trembled with anger.

“Forget it. It’s none of your damn business.”

I narrowed my eyes and clenched my jaw. I stood abruptly and made a run for the bathroom. I splashed cold water on my face and stood with my hands braced on the sink. I was floored. How could I have been so wrong? I looked in the mirror and inhaled deeply. I had told myself that I was going to fight for Josh. I needed to make him see that he deserved better than Roger.

As I walked back into the kitchen, I noticed Alannah and Liam sitting close together on the couch, exchanging worried looks. When I entered the kitchen, Josh had a handful of dishes he was bringing to the sink. He was looking down. I stepped into his path and grabbed the dishes, stopping him in place.

“Don’t go.”

“Galen…”

“Don’t. Go.” I looked into his beautiful brown eyes. “Please.”

“I can’t just not go.”

“Yes, you can.”

“He needs me,” Josh whispered.

“So do I. Please, Josh. I’ll get down on my knees and beg if I have to, but please don’t go.”

He avoided my gaze. “I have to go.”

“What the hell is wrong with you? Why can’t you see what everyone else does? I would never treat you the way he does.”

Josh’s expression hardened. “You don’t know him like I do.”

“I know enough. Please stay, Josh. Don’t go.”

He silently shook his head. Anger exploded through me, and I shoved the dishes against his chest as I stormed out of the kitchen and out the door. I stopped when I got to Betsey and stood with my hands on her roof, willing my body to stop shaking and the tears to stop. I pounded my fist on the roof of the car. I had a choice. I could give up and let him spend the rest of his life in misery, or I could fight one more time.

I wiped my eyes and reentered the house. Josh was standing at the sink, hands on the countertop, staring at the pile of dishes occupying it. My heart pounded in my chest, and I had to work hard to draw breath into my lungs. He was beautiful to me, even though he looked absolutely miserable. The thought of losing him caused me to produce a sob I immediately strangled.

Josh turned to look at me, and I strode over to him, took his face in my hands and pressed my lips against his. He was stiff in my arms at first, but gradually relaxed and responded briefly before pulling away.

“I told you I never wanted you to let me go.” I choked back a sob. “And you said you didn’t want me to let go either.”

Josh looked anywhere but at me.

“You look me in the eye and tell me you didn’t feel it, too.”

He looked at the ground.

“You can’t, can you?” The longer he remained silent the angrier I became. “Goddammit, Josh! You can’t tell me for one minute that you don’t feel the same way I do,” I yelled.

He winced at my words.

“I love you, Josh. That has to count for something.” I wiped the tears from my eyes. “I would never treat you the way he does. I would cherish you.”

Josh met my gaze, then said, “I can’t just walk away…”

“Yes you can, you coward!”

“I can’t…” he whispered.

I yelled and spun in a circle, dragging my hands through my hair. I stopped and faced him. I had never been more furious in my life. “If you want to spend the rest of your life being treated like shit, then go right ahead. I’m done with you.” I turned and started for the door, tears streaming down my face.

“Galen…”

I wheeled around and shot him a look filled with venom. “Fuck you!” I spat. I ran out the door and jumped into Betsey. I peeled out of the parking lot and down the driveway. I was trembling with anger and betrayal. This was not how I had envisioned the evening ending, and I was devastated.

I drove to Jody’s in a fog. It was a miracle I didn’t hit anything or anyone. When I arrived at his house, I burst through the front door and immediately zeroed in on my best friend sitting in a lounge chair near the TV. I flung myself on his lap and hugged him tightly, sobbing into his chest. I felt his strong arms close around me.

“What’s wrong? Calm down, Galen. Whatever it is, it’ll be ok.”

“I don’t understand, Jo,” I said when I calmed down enough to speak. “What’s so wrong with me?”

“There’s nothing wrong with you. Why do you think that?”

“None of the men in my life want me. Jamie doesn’t want me anymore, Ethan won’t even talk to me, and Josh would rather spend the rest of his life with an asshole who treats him like shit. I don’t think I’m such a bad person…why don’t they want me?”

“Jamie’s an asshole, and Josh is a fool. Ethan…is just hurt.” Jody smoothed my hair back.

“Hurt?”

“Now’s not the time to discuss it.”

Sally walked over to Jody. She was talking on the phone. “Yeah, Liam. He’s here. He’s really upset. Ok. Yeah, I’ll tell him. Thanks, Liam. Bye.”

“Liam had to respond to a call, Galen. He wanted to make sure you’re all right. He’ll call you when he can.”

I nodded.

“Jody, why don’t you take Galen home? I don’t think he’s in any condition to drive.”

Jody nodded. “Sure. C’mon, babe. We can pick up some ice cream on the way.”

Jody drove me home and ended up staying the night. I didn’t want to be alone, and sleeping in his arms was a great comfort to me. Josh’s rejection hurt even more than when I found out Jamie was cheating on me. I decided to leave Betsey at Jody’s and take my Kia to Boston. I had a long time to think as I was driving.

I had poured my heart out to Jody the night before – telling him about my feelings for both Josh and Ethan. I was determined to see Ethan when I returned from my trip. I felt he deserved a face-to-face talk about what happened. I was still very confused about his sudden lack of communication. Jody told me it was up to E to tell me what happened. He was very close to both of us and didn’t want to be caught in the middle of it. I didn’t blame him.

Despite my distracted state of mind, the two sides decided to settle the case before the trial ended. I was stuck in meetings until 8:00 p.m., hammering out the details of the settlement. My colleagues wanted to go out and celebrate, but I didn’t feel like spending the night in Boston. I just wanted to get home and curl up in bed with Tigger.

About an hour and a half into the drive home, I was exhausted and hungry, so I decided to stop at a little bar/restaurant for coffee and a burger. I wish to God I never did.

I'm so sorry this chapter took so long. I've got my muse back, so fingers crossed that updates will be more frequent now. Please don't hate Josh too much. We all make mistakes. We'll see what happens from here... ;) Thanks for reading! Special thanks to Cole for helping me with the legalese and Lisa for her amazing editing skills. I couldn't ask for a better team. :hug:
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Love 1
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Hmmm... you don't me to hate Josh too much... okay, I'll try. There are some pretty heavy issues there. Galen, I'm having trouble with. He's being pretty self-absorbed if he doesn't understand why Ethan doesn't want to talk to him. Okay, you're done with him, and you broke his heart, but don't expect him to be your friend... you did what you felt you had to, now leave the poor man alone. It's been a while, but you have me right back in it, Val. Good job... now would someone... anyone, please pull their head out of there ass lol.... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I actually don't hate Josh at all. He frustrates me, and I feel like he's trapped. I can understand that he is so used to being in this relationship that he probably can't see his way out of it even as he is staring at a better? option.. I'm with Gary though, Galen I'm having trouble with.. I want to know what's going on with Ethan besides Galen..
So glad you're back Val, this was well worth waiting for... (and I actually left a review!)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/17/2016 05:09 AM, Zenith said:

Glad you are back. Love this story!

Thanks! And thanks for reading :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/17/2016 05:28 AM, Headstall said:

Hmmm... you don't me to hate Josh too much... okay, I'll try. There are some pretty heavy issues there. Galen, I'm having trouble with. He's being pretty self-absorbed if he doesn't understand why Ethan doesn't want to talk to him. Okay, you're done with him, and you broke his heart, but don't expect him to be your friend... you did what you felt you had to, now leave the poor man alone. It's been a while, but you have me right back in it, Val. Good job... now would someone... anyone, please pull their head out of there ass lol.... cheers... Gary....

Galen's actually trying to do the right thing with Ethan. He hasn't seen him since right before the wedding and the lack of communication is sudden and, to our current knowledge, unprovoked. Galen knows he needs to break up with him and is trying to that in the best way possible - not that there is an easy way to break someone's heart, but he isn't going to do it over voicemail. I plead the fifth on when any pulling of heads out of asses will occur... lol Have faith that I will make everything right...eventually. ;) Thanks for reading and the review. I love reading your reviews. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/17/2016 05:38 AM, Defiance19 said:

I actually don't hate Josh at all. He frustrates me, and I feel like he's trapped. I can understand that he is so used to being in this relationship that he probably can't see his way out of it even as he is staring at a better? option.. I'm with Gary though, Galen I'm having trouble with.. I want to know what's going on with Ethan besides Galen..

So glad you're back Val, this was well worth waiting for... (and I actually left a review!)

Yay! A review! :hug: Yes, Josh is definitely frustrating. There are times I want to smack him upside the head...lol Thanks for your support. I appreciate it. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thanks for the chapter! Hopefully the next one isn't too far behind.

 

Btw, that was one hell of a cliffhanger. :unsure:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/17/2016 07:47 AM, impunity said:

Thanks for the chapter! Hopefully the next one isn't too far behind.

 

Btw, that was one hell of a cliffhanger. :unsure:

I have a good start on the next chapter, so hopefully it should only take a couple of weeks to get written and reviewed by my team. Thanks for the review. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

We need more data about Roger, or else we can't fully understand Josh.
We need more data about Ethan to even know what's going on here.
We need a whole hell of a lot more data before we can jump to all these conclusions.

 

Clever Val, the only way to obtain such data is for you to tell us!
Sooooooooooooo we'll patiently wait.
foot tap ...tap ...tap ...tap ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

It's difficult to hate someone before you know their reasoning. I firmly believe Josh has a valid reason, in his mind. It might be incomprehensible to the rest of us, but still. I hope your muse doesn't leave again. I want to know more. I need to know more! And what happened at the end?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/17/2016 08:40 AM, skinnydragon said:

We need more data about Roger, or else we can't fully understand Josh.

We need more data about Ethan to even know what's going on here.

We need a whole hell of a lot more data before we can jump to all these conclusions.

 

Clever Val, the only way to obtain such data is for you to tell us!

Sooooooooooooo we'll patiently wait.

foot tap ...tap ...tap ...tap ;)

You will be provided with all the data you need ;) I can't say what the transmission speed will be however... :gikkle: Thanks for reading and taking the time to review :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/17/2016 09:00 AM, Puppilull said:

It's difficult to hate someone before you know their reasoning. I firmly believe Josh has a valid reason, in his mind. It might be incomprehensible to the rest of us, but still. I hope your muse doesn't leave again. I want to know more. I need to know more! And what happened at the end?

Answers may or may not be forthcoming in the next chapter... ;) Thanks for the review. I appreciate your support. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think SD is right in that I want to know more about Ethan and Roger now. I am also very scared for Galen. What did he do in his distress that he wishes he'd never done? Found another man to break everyone's heart? Something worse? The worst of all this impending train wreck is that we kind of knew it was coming. Somewhee along the line, Galen lost the ability to make choices about who he wanted, and how his life would work out. Now it seems too late to avoid a tragedy. But what a great tragedy you are writing, Val. Needless to say, I want more!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

For me the beauty in the chapter rests with Galen not giving up. The two confrontation scenes at the kitchen sink were just what we needed to see from our main character, imo. He's been rather passive and adrift since his ex left him, and when he's been brave in delivering ultimatums to Josh – he's walked (or in this case, drove) away empty handed. Poor guy, but beautifully written to remind us of the earlier scene in the barn. I hope the third time will be the charm ^_^

 

Excellent chapter, but I have a nauseating feeling that I 'know' what the cliffhanger is hinting at. :unsure2:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/18/2016 11:47 PM, Parker Owens said:

I think SD is right in that I want to know more about Ethan and Roger now. I am also very scared for Galen. What did he do in his distress that he wishes he'd never done? Found another man to break everyone's heart? Something worse? The worst of all this impending train wreck is that we kind of knew it was coming. Somewhee along the line, Galen lost the ability to make choices about who he wanted, and how his life would work out. Now it seems too late to avoid a tragedy. But what a great tragedy you are writing, Val. Needless to say, I want more!

Thanks, Parker :) Galen's in a bad place right now. His self confidence is shot and his life is about to take a very sharp turn. What form that turn takes will have to be seen. Thanks for the review. I appreciate your support!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/19/2016 06:24 AM, AC Benus said:

For me the beauty in the chapter rests with Galen not giving up. The two confrontation scenes at the kitchen sink were just what we needed to see from our main character, imo. He's been rather passive and adrift since his ex left him, and when he's been brave in delivering ultimatums to Josh – he's walked (or in this case, drove) away empty handed. Poor guy, but beautifully written to remind us of the earlier scene in the barn. I hope the third time will be the charm ^_^

 

Excellent chapter, but I have a nauseating feeling that I 'know' what the cliffhanger is hinting at. :unsure2:

Thanks for the great review, AC. :hug: No comment on the cliffhanger. You'll find out if you are right soon enough. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/02/2016 01:14 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Wow...other than Ethan, I don't blame Galen acting as he did. Nice chapter, Val!

Thanks, Tim. :) Can't say I blame him, either.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well this is what I think someone needs to hire a private detective and get the goods on Roger replete with glossy 8x11 photos. I so what to see him go down in flames.

I also think that its to late to spare Ethan's feeling. You make me feel such strong feeling sigh.:rofl:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 7/5/2017 at 3:05 PM, Albert1434 said:

Well this is what I think someone needs to hire a private detective and get the goods on Roger replete with glossy 8x11 photos. I so what to see him go down in flames.

I also think that its to late to spare Ethan's feeling. You make me feel such strong feeling sigh.:rofl:

I think that's the highest compliment an author can receive... :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Geez.  Josh is so frustrating.  It's hard when someone is making themselves miserable and won't do anything to change that.  I think Galen is right when he calls Josh a coward (not the nicest thing in the world, but oh well).  Sometimes people are so scared of change, that they stay in situations where they are unhappy, simply because it is familiar and comfortable.  I also find Josh's rejection to be doubly cruel after what he said to Galen during The Dance at the wedding.  Telling Galen that he doesn't want him to let him go, but then pushes him away to be with someone else...that's a horrible way to play with someone's feelings.  

 

It's interesting to see the situation with Ethan, even if we aren't seeing his side right now.  My guess is that either someone told him about Josh and Galen's closeness at the wedding, or sent a picture or something.    

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Yeah, Josh deserves a good smack upside the head right now.  Things are a mess, that's for sure. We'll see how it all pans out.  Thanks again for reading!  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
7 hours ago, aditus said:

I can't say I am sorry for either of them.

Yeah... well... um... yeah.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Galen is finally taking charge of his life, too bad it seems to be futile.  Maybe a bit of karmic payback for his calloused treatment of Ethan.  I suspect Ethan doesn't want to talk with Galen, because he already knows it is a lost cause.  He's probably taking time to regroup and recover a bit, before he sees Galen again.  Josh?:fight:

More emotional involvement which you write so well! :yes:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..