Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,041 Words
  • 3,948 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hollow Hills - 23. Chapter 23

A new perspective.

Alannah

As I drove from Liam’s house to the farm, the fog rising from the evergreens that lined either side of the road brought to mind tales of Tír na nÓg and hapless visitors who entered the mists, never to be seen again. Me gran told the stories with relish. I think she enjoyed the looks of fear they inspired, no doubt in an effort to keep me from going astray like me ma did. Whenever I did something wrong, she threatened to send me the Irish Otherworld to let its inhabitants—the Tuatha Dé Danann—deal with me.

I wasn’t afraid of the mists, Faery, or anything, really. Me biggest fear growing up was that ma would return and want to take me back to Dublin with her. I loved living with gran at the farm. I had Duke and Paint and later, Charlie, as my companions. We would gallop eagerly across the misty Irish countryside, jumping fences that were supposed to keep in other livestock, until it was time to start the day’s chores.

Speaking of chores, I was headed to The Hollow Hills to complete the same daily routine I’d had since me ma dumped me at gran’s when I was seven.

I’ve always been a morning person. Some of me happiest memories were of early morning rides across the Irish moors as the sun turned the skies crimson as it rose from its slumber. Josh was a morning person out of necessity and habit from a lifetime taking care of horses. I was usually up before him and had the coffee ready so he could enjoy a cup before starting our breakfast. I’d always considered myself a decent cook, but Josh’s skills in the kitchen put mine to shame. I appreciated having a meal waiting for me at the end of the day and knew I was spoiled.

I arrived at the farm late enough that I figured Josh would be in the middle of making breakfast. I knew he wasn’t sleeping due to Galen’s issues, so I thought he may even be done cooking. So I was surprised to find the house dark when I stepped through the front door into the mudroom. I switched on the kitchen lights and started a pot of coffee, figuring Josh was having a bit of a lie-in. I didn’t want to disturb him, since sleep was so precious.

I peeked into the living room to check on Galen. The couch was freshly made with smooth sheets and a blanket folded neatly over them. It was also empty. Cold dread settled into the pit of me stomach. Galen was in a bad place mentally, and one of my fears was that he’d see only one way out. I darted to Josh’s room and burst through the door.

“Joshua! Wake up, love! Galen’s missing!” I yelled, then stared at the scene before me.

Josh lay on his back with Galen nestled into his side. Galen’s arm was around Josh’s chest, and his head rested on his shoulder. He looked peaceful. He stirred when Josh jumped at the sound of my voice. Josh scowled and put a finger to his lips.

I nodded and grinned like a bloody fool as I backed out of the room and headed into the kitchen. I gave Josh five minutes, tops, before he joined me. I was dying to know the story behind what I had witnessed. I poured two cups of coffee and added cream and sugar to one before placing them on the table.

About three minutes later, Josh yawned as he entered the kitchen and sat down in his usual seat. He sipped his coffee slowly as I stared at him and bounced my leg in annoyance. “Well?” I finally asked.

“Well, what?”

I rolled my eyes. “Ye know damn well, what, ye bloody pillock.”

He took another sip of coffee. The corner of his mouth upturned, making him look younger. “Galen had a rough night last night and decided to join me in my bed.”

I raised an eyebrow. Bloody men. Getting anything out of them was like pulling teeth. Josh sighed.

“He had a nightmare, but this time it was different. He kept yelling my name and had somehow tangled himself up in his blanket. It scared him so much he—” Josh fiddled with his mug before looking me in the eye. “After I untangled Galen and got him cleaned up, I had to put the bedding in the wash and disinfect the couch. I had him use my bathroom because it’s bigger. When he finished, instead of going back to the couch, he crawled into bed with me. We were enjoying a peaceful night’s sleep for a change.”

“That’s great, love, and probably good timing with the doc arriving today.”

“Yeah, I hope so.”

“Liam will be here around 2:30.”

Josh stood and stretched his arms over his head. “Sounds good. I’ll go check on Galen, then start breakfast.”

I watched him as he strode through the living room into his room. His step seemed somehow lighter, and I hoped that in helping heal Galen, he would somehow heal himself. I knew Josh, probably better than he knew himself. One thing I learned over all the years I’d known him was how much he kept everything inside. He felt things very deeply, despite not letting his emotions show.

 

After breakfast, Galen and I headed to the barn to start the morning routine. For now, I kept his tasks simple—feeding the horses, scrubbing and refilling water buckets, sweeping the barn aisle—until he gained the strength to do more physically demanding chores. I planned on having him groom a couple of horses. The contact with the animals would be good for him, and it would help build his stamina.

I was so lost in planning me day that I completely forgot to tell Galen to skip Pendragon’s stall. The big bay horse had been sent to me for rehabilitation after being abused by some asshole trainer. The animal had thrived under the care he received here, enough so that I leased him to a client I thought he’d do well with. I never hated being wrong more in me life.

When I saw the state of the bay gelding in Florida, I immediately terminated the lease and made arrangements for him to be shipped back to the farm. He had arrived late the previous afternoon in worse shape than when I had first met him. Caroline and I were the only ones who could get near him. He was terrified of men.

My heart pounded when I saw Galen open the latch to Dragon’s stall. “Galen! No, lad!” I yelled as I sprinted down the barn aisle. I was too late, though. He had already slipped inside. I slowed down right before I reached the stall so I didn’t frighten the poor gelding any further. I stared in awe as the big bay stepped closer to Galen, ears pricked forward, ignoring the feed in his bin. He lowered his head and placed it against Galen’s chest. Galen reached out and stroked the silky neck. Dragon blew air out of his nostrils, then started chewing—a sign of trust and acceptance. After about a minute, the horse moved away and stuck his mouth in the feed bin to eat his breakfast. Galen made brief eye contact with me as he left the stall and moved on to feed the next in line. I stared after him, wondering what the bloody hell I’d just witnessed.

After all the horses were fed, I decided I’d have Galen groom Dragon. I put the horse on crossties in the grooming stall and handed Galen a box of grooming supplies. He removed a round, black rubber currycomb and moved it in circles along Dragon’s side. The horse blew air out of his nostrils in a quick burst and lowered his head. I left them alone and completed me own chores.

 

Dr. Daniel Snowden arrived promptly at three o’clock. He was a handsome man, with black, curly hair and a neatly-trimmed beard. I’d been expecting someone older and stodgier. After introductions, he sat at the kitchen table and reviewed all of Galen’s medical records. He listened while Liam related Galen’s decline and behavior over the past few months. He frowned when he reviewed the list of medications Galen was taking. Finally, he asked to be introduced to his new patient.

Dr. Snowden watched as Josh headed into the living room and returned with Galen in tow. Galen glanced at Liam, me, and finally the doctor. His emerald green eyes narrowed and he stepped closer to Josh, hiding behind him while keeping his eyes trained on the newcomer.

“Galen, this is Dr. Snowden. He’s here to help you,” Josh said.

Galen reached for Josh’s hand and turned toward the living room. Josh stood in place. “Please, listen to him.”

“Hi, Galen. You can call me Daniel.”

Galen let go of Josh’s hand and retreated to the living room. Josh exhaled. I could see the frustration written all over his face. He ran his hand through his hair.

“I’ll try again.” He turned, but stopped when the doctor spoke.

“Hold on a minute. Let’s give him time to process my presence. From your descriptions and his behavior, I’d say he’s suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder. I’ll try approaching him and see what happens, then I can formulate a treatment plan.” Daniel rose and walked to the entrance of the living room, but didn’t enter. He gestured toward the couch. “This is where he’s been sleeping?”

Josh nodded. “Yeah, until last night.”

“Where did he sleep last night?”

“With me.” Josh’s smile made me smile.

Daniel raised an eyebrow. “What changed?”

“What do you mean?” Josh asked.

“Something broke him out of his usual routine. What happened?”

Josh frowned. “Well, he had a nightmare. Which isn’t all that unusual, but this time it was so bad he… um… well… he wet himself. It was the middle of the night, so I brought him into my bathroom to clean up. When he finished, instead of going back to the couch—which I had cleaned up—he climbed into bed with me.”

“Are you two in a relationship?”

Josh looked at Galen, then at the floor. “No,” he replied quietly. “We’re… friends.”

“He seems to rely on you,” the doctor stated.

Josh shrugged. “I’m familiar to him, I guess.”

I snorted, causing Josh to scowl at me and the doctor to raise an eyebrow.

Doctor Snowden stayed about another hour before heading out with the promise to return the next day. He observed Galen for a while, then made some adjustments in Galen’s medication. He said it would take a few weeks for the changes to take effect, so we shouldn’t expect to see immediate results.

 

I stayed at Liam’s that night after having a talk with Josh. I offered to stay and help take care of Galen, but I think we both knew that Liam needed me more than Galen did.

We lay in bed together, me curled up into Liam’s side. “What did you think of the doc?” he asked.

I shrugged. “Hard to say, love. He seemed to have Galen’s best interests in mind. Only time will tell.”

My head lowered as Liam’s chest compressed as he let his breath out. “I guess. I wish he could have done more.”

“Galen can’t be fixed overnight. He survived something unimaginable. He’s exactly where he needs to be right now. Just have a little faith.” I stroked his chest. “Ye’re exactly where ye need to be right now too, love.”

Liam smiled and nodded. “I’m glad you’re here.”

We lay in silence for a few minutes, and I could feel the tension in his muscles. I leaned up and kissed him.

“What was that for?” he asked, smiling.

“Do I need a reason?”

He laughed, the deep rumble from his chest vibrating throughout me body. “Nope.”

I kissed him again, deeper this time, and pulled him on top of me. I knew exactly how to take his mind off his broken cousin.

I hope you enjoyed getting to know Alannah a little bit better. Thanks, as always, to Cole and Lisa for being such an awesome team. And thanks to all who read, react, and comment on this story.
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 15
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator
11 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

You brought back a childhood memory for me. There was a show in the nineties called The Mystical Knights of Tír na nÓg. So thank you for that!

I've never heard of that show.  I'll have to look it up.  I'm glad I brought back some memories.  Thanks for commenting :) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Loved Alannah’s pov. 

Galen willingly sought Josh for comfort, and he also formed an instant bond with an injured horse. I hope this small step, but huge moment, signals a positive turn for Galen.  

 

Great chapter Val! 

Edited by Defiance19
  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, Kjamieson said:

I was so happy to see a new chapter. It was really nice to see it from Allanah's point of view. 

 

Nice to see Galen finally start to lean on someone for support rather than just retreating inside himself, even if it was a middle of the night accident that prompted it. He seems reluctant to interact with the new therapist, which isn't surprising. Hoping being with Josh and around the horses will help him heal. 

 

As always looking forward to the next instalment. Thanks for the chapter.

Thank you for the nice comments.  I'm glad you liked the new POV.  :) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

Some wonderful things in this chapter: Galen connects with another injured creature; connecting again with Josh; getting professional help. Miracles aren’t happening overnight, but hope gleams on the horizon. Thank you! 

Thank you for your support of this story :) You are quite right.  Galen's healing process is slow, but we do have a glimmer of hope.  We'll see what the next chapter brings. ;) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Loved Alannah’s pov. 

Josh willingly sought Galen for comfort and an instant bond between horse and man. I hope this small step, but huge moment signals a positive turn for Josh. 

 

Great chapter Val! 

Thanks :) I'm glad that Alannah's POV has worked so well.  Galen has made some small steps, but it seems to be a turning point for him.  We'll see what the future brings.  Thanks for reading!  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, LilDaddy98 said:

Another awesome chapter. 

Thank you so much :) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks :) I'm glad that Alannah's POV has worked so well.  Galen has made some small steps, but it seems to be a turning point for him.  We'll see what the future brings.  Thanks for reading!  

I edited and still forgot I switched names around. Sorry Val. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Defiance19 said:

I edited and still forgot I switched names around. Sorry Val. 

No worries.  I knew who you meant ;) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The healing bond of mutual understanding makes it easier to trust and seek omfort. It works even without words. I'm guessing Dragon instinctively knew Galen shared his past. It brought tears ot my eyes and not only because I'm a horse nut. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
9 hours ago, Puppilull said:

The healing bond of mutual understanding makes it easier to trust and seek omfort. It works even without words. I'm guessing Dragon instinctively knew Galen shared his past. It brought tears ot my eyes and not only because I'm a horse nut. 

Horses are amazing creatures.  Thanks so much, Puppi :hug:  

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Dr Snowden sounds like just what Galen needs.  He didn't push him, just observed.  Some of the issues may be the medications numbing everything. I hope the doctor does come and observe how Galen interacts with the horses too.   At this point talking would be useless anyway.  I mean, we know why he hast the PTSD, and talking about it would just be gobbeltygook.  I hope when addressed again the Josh is more honest with the doctor about the relationship.  At some point during Galen's healing I think Josh will need some therapy as well to forgive himself for everything that has happened!!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
20 hours ago, glennish said:

Dr Snowden sounds like just what Galen needs.  He didn't push him, just observed.  Some of the issues may be the medications numbing everything. I hope the doctor does come and observe how Galen interacts with the horses too.   At this point talking would be useless anyway.  I mean, we know why he hast the PTSD, and talking about it would just be gobbeltygook.  I hope when addressed again the Josh is more honest with the doctor about the relationship.  At some point during Galen's healing I think Josh will need some therapy as well to forgive himself for everything that has happened!!

You make some very good points.  There's a lot of hurt going around and Galen isn't the only one that needs support.  Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

So happy to see a new chapter though my hurt hurts for what Galen and Josh are going through. I re-read the story to remember all the details and found myself more enamored with these characters the second time around. I hope the next installment comes sooner than later!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
9 hours ago, sassypie said:

So happy to see a new chapter though my hurt hurts for what Galen and Josh are going through. I re-read the story to remember all the details and found myself more enamored with these characters the second time around. I hope the next installment comes sooner than later!

Thanks so much for your support.  There won't be a long wait for the next chapter.  It's with my editor now and Chapter 25 is with my beta reader.  I even started working on Chapter 26 today, so the next few chapters are in the works.  Thanks for commenting!  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Things seem to slowly be looking up for Galen, though I get the feeling his road to recovery will be a long one.  Good chapter and interesting to see things from Alannah's perspective.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
10 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

Things seem to slowly be looking up for Galen, though I get the feeling his road to recovery will be a long one.  Good chapter and interesting to see things from Alannah's perspective.

I'm glad you liked Alannah's perspective.  Galen has a long road ahead of him, but he's on the right path.  Thanks again for reading :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wow... I'm so far behind again. But, my brain picked up right where it left off. Lots of positives in this chapter. Galen is responding somewhat... just not in the way and speed Josh and the rest would like. I really liked the 'Dragon' scene. Horse people would understand the connection and innate trust that was there. Horses are amazingly intuitive animals. I feel much better after this chapter... the previous one was so sad. Great job, Val. :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, Headstall said:

Wow... I'm so far behind again. But, my brain picked up right where it left off. Lots of positives in this chapter. Galen is responding somewhat... just not in the way and speed Josh and the rest would like. I really liked the 'Dragon' scene. Horse people would understand the connection and innate trust that was there. Horses are amazingly intuitive animals. I feel much better after this chapter... the previous one was so sad. Great job, Val. :hug: 

Thanks so much :)  Animals are so perceptive.   They know when someone's hurting.  I'm glad you're catching up on the story :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Galen's slow progress from the hell he endured is just real life.  I love that Dragon was intuitive enough to not be afraid of Galen and loving enough to let Galen know he cares. Dr. Snowden is very realistic in his approach and seems to carefully check medications and begin the process of observation.  It was pleasing to see that Alannah is smart enough to take care of Liam.  Liam is also in a great deal of pain and guilt and needs help with his recovery.  A wonderful chapter of hope and promise for a better future.:2thumbs:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
5 hours ago, raven1 said:

Galen's slow progress from the hell he endured is just real life.  I love that Dragon was intuitive enough to not be afraid of Galen and loving enough to let Galen know he cares. Dr. Snowden is very realistic in his approach and seems to carefully check medications and begin the process of observation.  It was pleasing to see that Alannah is smart enough to take care of Liam.  Liam is also in a great deal of pain and guilt and needs help with his recovery.  A wonderful chapter of hope and promise for a better future.:2thumbs:

I used to teach therapeutic horseback riding and we had one mare who extremely cranky with everyone (would bite or kick and even broke someone's arm once because she bit them so hard) and was difficult to ride.  Very spooky and could be a bit of a pill.  Well, I had some autistic adults come for lessons and needed a large horse, so decided to give her a try.  OMG  This crankasaurus Rex put her head down when the guy was grooming her, ears to the side, all relaxed and loving it.  The minute a staff member approached, her head would come up, ears go back... so okay... point taken!  We left them to their devices!  When a special needs person rode her, she was an absolute angel.  Every footstep precise and measured, no spooking.  My boss saw me using her for therapeutic riding and was all set to blast me into next week until she saw how incredible the connection was.  

Everyone here needs healing, and it's a good thing they all have each other.  Dr. Snowden is very good at his job ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Two broken creatures taking solace in one another ... yeah, I know that could apply to most here.

BTW, where's Ethan?

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..