Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 833 Words
  • 3,129 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 16. Chapter 16

Prompt 319 - Creative
Tag – The Bet
Your friend has always had a big mouth, but last week he just went too far. He said he could out do you, in one of the things you are best known for in front of everyone you both know. To shut him up, you accepted the bet. What did you two bet on, who won, and what was the bet?

“I make the best chili north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I’ve always gotten rave reviews,” Sid boasted.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. Sid was a real piece of work sometimes.

“I bet I could win this. Hell, I could win this even if you entered, Evan.” Sid was holding a flier for the local fire company’s annual chili cook-off.

I raised an eyebrow at him. “You’re kidding me, right?” I was the executive chef at an upscale restaurant specializing in southern cuisine. My chili was one of the most popular items on our menu.

“Nope. I could totally outdo you. My chili is award-winning.” Sid puffed out his chest.

“Award-winning, huh? Let me guess--“

“Hun? Let it go…” Roger whispered in my ear.

Our friends were all snickering. Sid was always getting under my skin, but this was going too far. He was always trying to outdo me and I usually let it just slide, but this time... oh, hell no!

“So when did you win your James Beard award?” Yes…I was being a smug asshole, but Sid needed to be put in his place.

“Here we go again,” Samantha sighed and shook her head. “Why don’t you boys just whip them out and get it over with?”

The snickers turned into outright laughter.

“So what do ya say, Evan? We on?”

“Yeah, we’re on.” I smirked thinking about how I was going to mop the floor with him. Besides, it was being held in a fire hall. That meant lots of hot firemen eye candy.

“Great! Now what’s the wager?”

“Wager?”

“Yeah, we can’t enter a contest and not bet. If I win, my chili goes on your menu. What do you want if you win?”

I want your head mounted on my wall. “You have to do my dishes for a week.”

“That’s it?”

“In the restaurant.”

“Ok.”

“Wearing a dress and heels.”

Sid looked at me like I was nuts. He was the most masculine guy I knew. I don’t think he had any semblance of a feminine side.

He grinned at me and laughed. “You’re on. There’s no way I’m losing this bet. I want full credit on your menu, too.”

I bristled. There was no way in hell I was going to let Sid’s name anywhere near my menu.

*****

“You shouldn’t have let him bait you like that.” Roger shook his head at me as he drove us to the chili cook-off.

I rolled my eyes at him. We’d been arguing about this all week. “Maybe now the asshole will shut up and give me some peace.”

Roger looked at me pointedly. “Do you really think Sid is going to stop goading you? He does it just to get a reaction, you know. You played right into his hand.”

“All I know is that I can’t wait to see that smug grin wiped off his face when I kick his ass in this cook-off.”

The fire hall was filled with tables full of chili, cheese, sour cream, and cornbread. Everyone who entered the hall was given a yellow ticket to vote for their favorite. The grand prize was a big trophy plus five hundred dollars. I planned on donating the money back to the fire hall.

Sid was stationed a few tables down from me. He walked over with a confident grin, handed me a cup of his chili, and picked up a cup of mine. “Not too bad,” he said, tasting it. “Still not as good as mine, though.” Then he walked back to his table.

I tried his chili and had to admit that it was pretty good. Not that I would ever say that out loud to anyone, especially Sid.

The throng of chili aficionados had nothing but praise for my chili and every compliment just affirmed my place at the top of the podium. I felt kind of guilty entering, but it would be good publicity for the restaurant and I couldn’t wait to wipe that damn look off Sid’s face.

At the end of the day, the fire chief stood at the podium and announced that they had raised over two thousand dollars for the fire station. I was proud that I would be able to contribute another five hundred. I started to walk toward the podium when they announced the winner to thunderous applause. I was jerked roughly backwards and gave Roger a dirty look. “What the hell?”

“You didn’t win.” He hissed. “Now clap and be gracious!”

I looked at him in shock, and then I looked at the podium. I felt a profound sense of relief that it wasn’t Sid standing there hoisting the trophy. It was one of the hot firemen from the station. Then it was time to announce second and third place.

“Folks, for the first time ever we have a tie for second place. Evan Williams and Sid Connelly. Congratulations!”

Roger shoved me toward the podium. “Smile… and be nice!”

Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What, do you have a hat full of these things sitting around that you can just whip out? :P

 

Another fine showing, Valkyrie.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/19/2014 08:03 AM, Ron said:
What, do you have a hat full of these things sitting around that you can just whip out? :P

 

Another fine showing, Valkyrie.

LOL I had the day off today ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..