Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 677 Words
  • 2,763 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 31. Prompt 353

Prompt 353 – Creative
Tag – The Anniversary
It has been a year since the accident stole your partner away. What is life like a year later?

Jody froze after he opened the seldom used desk drawer. Resting on top of the stack of papers he intended to go through was a photograph. He picked it up shakily and set it down on the desk. His heart constricted at the sight of Evan. He stood up abruptly, sending the rolling desk chair skittering across the floor of his home office. He grabbed a beer from the kitchen, then flopped down on the couch. He downed about half his beer in one gulp and then turned the TV on, hoping to distract himself from thoughts of Evan. It didn’t work. The photo of them at the beach, hugging, Evan kissing Jody’s cheek, haunted him and he retrieved it from his office before returning to the couch. He held the photo face-down against his chest and closed his eyes, fighting the tears that threatened to fall.

He felt like a fool. It was a year since the accident that took Evan from him and he should be over it by now. Jody snorted derisively. How do you get over your partner of ten years leaving you for some asshole that backed into him in the WalMart parking lot? Evan said it was fate, as he packed his belongings to move into Steve’s house. Jody punched the arm of the couch, letting out a strangled cry. Evan said the same thing to him the first time they met. He grabbed the beer and downed the rest of it. He threw the bottle across the room where it hit the wall with a loud bang.

Jody felt like he was living in hell. Everything reminded him of Evan, restaurants where they ate, stores where they shopped, places they walked, the house they used to share. Jody hadn’t slept in their—his—bed since the night Evan left. Nothing held his interest anymore since he had shared all his interests with Evan. He went into the kitchen to grab another beer. He had no appetite. His clothes hung loose on his thin frame. Not for the first time he wondered if the pain was worth it. He was living a shell of a life. Everyday tasks such as brushing his teeth or getting up in the morning seemed insurmountable, but he forced himself to complete them. Most days. He had no idea how he was still employed since he was so far behind on all his work. He was lucky he had a certain amount of autonomy when it came to his job.

He looked around the house and shook his head in disgust. It looked like a hoarder lived there, between the stacks of pizza boxes and piles of beer bottles. He downed the rest of his beer and added the bottle to the pile with a dull clink. What difference did one more make? On his way to get another bottle of beer, he tripped and grabbed the counter of the breakfast bar to avoid falling. He cursed. A piece of paper stuck to his hand as he righted himself. He plucked it off in annoyance. He was about to fling it onto the floor when he paused and looked at it.

It was a business card from his friend George. George was the only friend who stuck by him during his downward spiral. He told Jody he was very worried about him and that he needed help. The business card was for a shrink. Jody told George where he could shove it, he didn’t need a fucking shrink. He went back to the couch and sat down, his beer forgotten. He picked up the picture from the floor and looked between it and the business card he held in his other hand. Should he give in to the pain or seek the help he was slowly realizing he needed? He took a deep breath and held it as he leaned his head against the back of the couch. He exhaled as he fished his cell phone out of his pocket and started dialing.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a review. I love reviews. :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ha you had me with the accident! I really thought Evan was dead. I liked that there was hope at the end. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2014 07:28 AM, aditus said:
Ha you had me with the accident! I really thought Evan was dead. I liked that there was hope at the end. :)
;) Thanks for reading. I had to leave Jody a glimmer of hope. He's been through enough.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sounds like Jody does need some help. Like Addy, you tricked me into thinking the rat bastard was dead. Of course, Evan may have been quite decent about the breakup, but right now I imagine him on an episode of Cheaters. See, you got me imagining the back story Val! Hahaha! Great job!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2014 09:37 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Sounds like Jody does need some help. Like Addy, you tricked me into thinking the rat bastard was dead. Of course, Evan may have been quite decent about the breakup, but right now I imagine him on an episode of Cheaters. See, you got me imagining the back story Val! Hahaha! Great job!
There are always two sides to a story. Maybe Evan is a decent guy... who knows? I picture something rather clandestine myself and envision a rather messy breakup. At least Jody is finally realizing he needs some help. Hopefully the phone call he was making is to the shrink. ;) Thanks for the review, Cole. I'm glad you liked it! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

clever twist with the accident turning out to be the crucial point that left Jody alone and devastated, rather than a death to recover from. Nicely done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2014 12:07 PM, Mann Ramblings said:
clever twist with the accident turning out to be the crucial point that left Jody alone and devastated, rather than a death to recover from. Nicely done.
Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Poor Jody :( He really need some help from a shrink. And clean the house too before real rats (not Evan) move in ! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Unless Evan was a total flight risk throughout the ten years of the relationship, I imagine he must not have been happy with it to have trotted off like that. Jody clearly saw himself, and the relationship, as being abandoned--perhaps even saw himself as a victim.

 

I think, you have captured Jody's self indulgent, self destructive behavior well. Providing him with a good friend, and a chance to escape feeling sorry for himself, was a relief for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2014 06:33 PM, Slytherin said:
Poor Jody :( He really need some help from a shrink. And clean the house too before real rats (not Evan) move in ! :)
Sorry for they delay in responding... I totally forgot about it! Yes, poor Jody definitely needs some professional help. From a shrink and cleaners. ;) Thanks for reading. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/07/2014 05:53 AM, Ron said:
Unless Evan was a total flight risk throughout the ten years of the relationship, I imagine he must not have been happy with it to have trotted off like that. Jody clearly saw himself, and the relationship, as being abandoned--perhaps even saw himself as a victim.

 

I think, you have captured Jody's self indulgent, self destructive behavior well. Providing him with a good friend, and a chance to escape feeling sorry for himself, was a relief for me.

Evan is a bit of a mystery to us, since we only get Jody's perspective. Who knows what his motivation was. Was he unhappy with Jody and looking for an out or did he have a bit of an epiphany when he met the guy in the accident? Jody is going through a bit more than simply feeling sorry for himself. We don't know what he was like prior to Evan leaving. Maybe he already suffers from depression and this triggered a severe episode. In any case, it's good he's finally taking a step in the right direction. George is a good friend and one he will need to get through this. Thanks so much for reading and leaving a review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another good one, Valkyrie! I loved your ditching the assumption that the acccident killed Evan. Jody's pain is captured very well--and it's nice to see he finally realizes he needs help.

I think of my s.o. almost daily after seven years--but no accident claimed him, it was on purpose when things got to be too much....The part that bothers me most, and possibly Jody, was that prehaps he could have done more to keep them together--but that effort needs two to make it work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/20/2014 01:07 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Another good one, Valkyrie! I loved your ditching the assumption that the acccident killed Evan. Jody's pain is captured very well--and it's nice to see he finally realizes he needs help.

I think of my s.o. almost daily after seven years--but no accident claimed him, it was on purpose when things got to be too much....The part that bothers me most, and possibly Jody, was that prehaps he could have done more to keep them together--but that effort needs two to make it work.

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it. :) Thanks for leaving a review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 07:34 PM, Suvitar said:
That was sad, hopefully Jody will get help, he clearly needs it.
I'd like to think that the phone call he made was to the counselor. Thanks for reading. :)
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..