Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 902 Words
  • 2,537 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 34. Prompt 360

First line: Why do I even bother?

“Why do I even bother?” I muttered to myself. My new employee was hopeless. After two weeks he still hadn’t grasped even the basic aspects of his job.

“Uh…boss… you may want to go over to table five. I think you need to do some smoothing over.” Sheri, my head waitress, rolled her eyes.

“Great.” I plastered a smile on my face and walked over to the seething customers. “My name is Jack and I’m the owner. I was just wondering how you were enjoying your meal?”

“We’re not,” the man said shortly. “I specifically asked for no onion and this salad is riddled with them! I’m allergic to onions!”

“And I asked for no peppers in my pasta. This looks like it has extra peppers!” His companion scowled.

I picked up both of their plates. “Please accept my deepest apologies. I’ll take these back and have our chef prepare new dishes immediately.”

“I certainly hope we are not going to be charged for our inconvenience,” the man said.

“Of course not. Your entrees are on the house.”

I walked into the kitchen and gave the chef the order for the refire. I then went in search of the screw-up. I found him in the back alley outside the restaurant, sitting with his back to the wall. His head was in his hands and he appeared to be crying. My anger lessened.

“Sean.”

He jumped and hurriedly wiped his eyes.

“Jack! I’m so sorry! I won’t screw up again! I’ll try harder, I promise! Please don’t fire me. I really need this job!”

“What are you doing out here? You have customers that are waiting for you.”

“You aren’t firing me?” he sniffled.

“We’ll have a little chat after your shift. In the meantime, the refire for table seven should be ready. I’m comping the entrees for them and for table five. You’re costing me a lot of money, young man.”

He grimaced. “I’m sorry about that. I thought I wrote their requests down right, but apparently I didn’t.”

“We’ll talk about it later. Get back to work.”

“Yes, sir.”

Sean finished the rest of his shift without major mishap. He spilled a drink all over a customer’s lap, but that was pretty minor where he was concerned. I sat in my office after the dinner shift, reviewing the receipts for the day when I heard a soft knock. I looked up to see a terrified Sean standing in the doorway.

I motioned him in. “Have a seat.”

He sat in the chair opposite my desk, wringing his hands. He looked like he was about to start crying again.

“Tell me what you think of your performance.”

“I know I’m not the best. I can be a bit of a klutz and forget to write any changes to the orders down. I’m trying, though. I really am! It’s just that…” he trailed off, looking at the floor.

“It’s just what?”

“Well, I know you probably don’t care and I shouldn’t let it affect my job, but my parents kicked me out a couple months ago. I wasn’t able to get all that much out before they did. I was living with my boyfriend, but we just broke up. I have no idea where I’m going to sleep tonight. I really need this job so I can get an apartment.”

“In your interview you indicated that you had experience with waiting tables. You lied, didn’t you.”

He hung his head and whispered, “Yeah. I’m sorry. I just really needed the job! I thought I could do it!”

“Why did your parents kick you out?”

“Because I’m gay.”

I looked at him sympathetically. Unfortunately, I knew how he felt.

“Do you like to cook?”

He looked at me and his face lit up. “I love to cook. I wanted to apply for a cooking position, but you were only hiring waiters.”

“Do you have any experience? Tell the truth, this time.”

“My mom is a great cook and taught me how. I’ve never worked in a restaurant, though.”

“We have an opening for a prep cook. It involves a lot of chopping, cutting, and preparing the food to be cooked. Do you think you could handle that?”

“Yes, sir!” he beamed.

“You can start tomorrow. Hopefully you’ll be better at that than you are at waiting tables.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir!”

“Don’t thank me yet. You still have to prove yourself.”

“Of course.”

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my wallet. I removed a couple hundred dollars and held it out to him. “Find a hotel room and let’s see what we can do about finding you an apartment.”

He looked at me, stunned. “I can’t accept this!”

“Yes, you can. Please. I won’t have an employee of mine living on the streets.”

“But you don’t even really know me. Why are you doing this?”

“Because no one was there for me when I was in the same situation. I can only hope that you make better choices than I did.”

He gave me a puzzled look. “But you’re a successful restaurant owner. You seem to have made some pretty good choices.”

I smiled wryly. “Believe me, that wasn’t always the case.” I pressed the money into his palm and closed his hand over it. “Consider it an advance. And don’t disappoint me.”

He smiled gratefully. “I won’t, sir.”

Thanks for reading! Please let me know how you liked it. :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 02:12 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Well, as always Val...compact, to-the-point, fully satisfying and leaving me wanting more!

Wonderful!

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 02:39 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Damn you! I'm too old to be tearing up at short little stories.

You nailed that one my friend!

lol Thanks! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

A very heartwarming story with hope. Very kind of Jack to offer Sean another job and giving him some money :) Well done ! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Could the world be like this? I really hope so. Something positive and shiny on a dreary day. Thank you Val. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I believe events like you've described here happen every day. I am pleased you decided to portray it. Too often we tend to highlight the negative events and selfishness humans can display. There are millions of people who do the right thing and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't detract from the dilemma. In fact, in your vignette it shines the light on how helping others is best when done on a person by person basis. In case you didn't get that from my comments, I LOVE the sketch. I want more!!!! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 03:01 AM, Percy said:
Heartwarming. The world needs more real life stories like this.
Thanks :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 05:18 AM, Slytherin said:
A very heartwarming story with hope. Very kind of Jack to offer Sean another job and giving him some money :) Well done ! :)
Thanks, LBO :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 06:30 AM, aditus said:
Could the world be like this? I really hope so. Something positive and shiny on a dreary day. Thank you Val. :)
I'm glad I brightened your day, Addy. :) I'd like to think that the world can be like this at times. Thanks for the review! :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 08:21 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I believe events like you've described here happen every day. I am pleased you decided to portray it. Too often we tend to highlight the negative events and selfishness humans can display. There are millions of people who do the right thing and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't detract from the dilemma. In fact, in your vignette it shines the light on how helping others is best when done on a person by person basis. In case you didn't get that from my comments, I LOVE the sketch. I want more!!!! :)
:blushing: Thanks, Cole. :) Hopefully Sean will take advantage of Jack's mentoring and not make the same mistakes he did. I'd like to think that scenarios like this happen on a regular basis. Thanks so much for the review. :)
Link to comment

A fine uplifting story. You do this type of writing well, Valkyrie. It's not that I'm biased against going to dark places in writing, I'm not, and some of your stories go there, but when you write like this you shine.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2014 12:45 PM, Ron said:
A fine uplifting story. You do this type of writing well, Valkyrie. It's not that I'm biased against going to dark places in writing, I'm not, and some of your stories go there, but when you write like this you shine.
Thanks, Ron. :):hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..