Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,202 Words
  • 1,642 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 2. Prompt 385 - The Minor

Nate has been having a horrible week. He comes home from an exhausting double-shift to find a snow covered lump sleeping on his doorstep. Who is it and what changes will he bring to Nate's life?

I shut the car off and rested my head on the steering wheel, thankful that something this week finally went right and I made it home safely in spite of the weather. I stretched and yawned before grabbing my work duffle and the bag containing the Chinese food I ordered for dinner. After a week of double shifts at the hospital, I was looking forward to having three days off. I opened the door and stepped into the blowing snow. I huddled into my coat and hurried up the walkway to my apartment building. I fiddled with my keys, but before I could isolate the front door key it registered that the snow covered lump on the stoop appeared to be moving. I slowed down, staring as I realized that it was a kid curled up in front of the door, blanketed in a couple inches of fluffy white snow.

I immediately went into ‘nurse mode’. I knelt in front of the kid – who looked like he was a young teenager – and shook him gently. “Hey kid. Wake up.”

He groaned and moved, but otherwise didn’t acknowledge me. I wondered how long he had been here and if hypothermia had set in. I shook him harder. “Kid. Wake up!”

He opened his eyes blearily and squinted at me. I helped him in to a seated position. “C’mon, you need to get inside.” I guided him to his feet and helped him into the lobby.

He shivered uncontrollably. He was wearing clothes designed for warmer weather – jeans, a t-shirt, and a light jacket. He had a backpack with him and looked very much out of his element.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I came to see my Uncle Nate.” He could barely talk because of his violent shivering.

I frowned. My name was Nate, but I had no nephews that I knew of. Of course, my brother could have had a gaggle of kids for all I knew. I found it hard to believe that any children of my brother would want to have anything to do with me, though.

I put my arm around his shoulders and helped him up the stairs and into my apartment. I checked out his extremities and saw no signs of frostbite, thankfully. I directed him to take a hot shower and set out some dry clothes. My clothes would be huge on him, but at least they were dry. The clothes in his backpack were all wet so I put them in the dryer while I waited for my charge to thaw.

He emerged from the bathroom an hour later, looking decidedly more pink. I gestured to the table where I had set two place settings and put the Chinese food in the microwave.

He sat at the table and played with his napkin.

“What’s your name, son?”

“Jonathan.”

“Why are you looking for Nate?”

“He’s my uncle. I just wanted to see him. Do you know him?”

“What’s Nate’s last name?”

“Johnson.”

There was no doubt now. The scruffy little vagabond was my nephew. “Yeah, I know him. I’m Nate Johnson.” I paused. “I didn’t know I had a nephew.”

“My dad doesn’t talk about you. I saw some old pictures and that’s how I found out about you. I asked grandma before she died and she told me not to ask about you anymore.”

I stiffened and clenched my hands around my coffee mug. This was a hell of a way to find out about my mother’s passing. “When did she die?” I asked softly.

“Last year. She had a massive stroke.”

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

“You didn’t know.” He stated. “No one told you?”

I shook my head and smiled ruefully. “I haven’t talked to anyone in my family for over fifteen years. I’m surprised that Brad kept any pictures.”

“They were hidden pretty good. I don’t know if he even knows they’re there.”

“Well, that makes a little more sense, then.”

“What happened? Why won’t anyone talk about you?”

“Maybe you should tell me why you’re here, first.”

He looked down at the table, his hair falling in front of his face. He reminded me so much of how my brother used to be that it physically hurt.

“I don’t have anywhere else to go,” he whispered.

I placed my hand over his. “You have nothing to fear from me.” We both jumped as we heard a key turn in the lock and the apartment door open. Jonathan looked at me, wide-eyed with fear.

I smiled at him reassuringly. “Relax, it’s just Ray.” I stood up and walked over to my boyfriend. “Hey hun. We have a guest.”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “A guest? I thought we were going to talk tonight, Nate.”

I sighed, flashing back to our horrible fight earlier in the week. Ray had been staying at his parents since. I had completely forgotten about our ‘talk’. “It’s my nephew. He was sleeping on the stoop, covered in snow when I came home.”

Ray raised his eyebrows. “Nephew?”

“Yeah. I had no idea I even had a nephew. Something pretty big must have happened to drive him here all the way from California.”

“Do you want me to leave?”

“Sweetheart, I never wanted you to leave. I love you.”

Ray looked at me skeptically. “I’ll stay, but we still need to talk.”

“Just promise me you aren’t leaving me,” I whispered.

He embraced me tentatively and I wrapped my arms tightly around him.

“I’m still mad as hell at you, but I’m not leaving you,” he said into my hair.

“I knew it!”

We both turned and looked at Jonathan. He was standing in the kitchen doorway staring at us with tears streaming down his face. “They don’t want anything to do with you because you’re gay!”

I nodded. “This is my partner, Ray.”

Jonathan ran to me and threw his arms around me, sobbing into my chest. I gently guided him to the couch and sat with my arms around him, offering what comfort I could. Ray sat on his other side, rubbing his back. After several minutes Jonathan seemed to calm down.

“I’m gay, too,” he whispered. “My dad caught me kissing a boy and kicked me out. He said I’m no longer welcome in his home.” He started sobbing again.

Ray squeezed my hand and wiped the tears from my cheeks. I hadn’t even realized I was crying. I held Jonathan until he cried himself into an uneasy sleep and covered him with a blanket. Ray and I retreated into our bedroom, sitting on opposite sides of the bed.

“So I guess we have a lot more to talk about now,” I said.

“Nate…he needs a place to stay. He’s more than welcome to stay with us.”

“Do you mean that? I really want it to be ‘us’, Ray. I’m so sorry I haven’t been making time for you. It’s hard to pass up all that overtime when we’re trying to save for a house.”

“Why don’t we talk about it in the morning?”

We slid under the covers and into each other’s arms.

You have just finished the week from hell and just about crawl out of your car. You drag your work bag and some takeout food you picked up and schlep it toward your front door. As you reach for your keys you stop cold as you notice someone is curled up asleep on your front door step. It is obvious even from where you are standing that it is a child. Who is the minor and why are they sleeping on your door step?
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey Val...

It may be the last thing you want to hear but I think there's going to be a clamor for followups. Not sure what your plans for the prompts are this year but if it fits into what you want to do, I would enjoy reading a bit more about Ray, Nathan and Jonathan.

If not, this was a lovely little tale!

Thanks for sharing,

Carlos

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hey Val!

Im not as polite and deferential as our meek and mild friend Carlos. This is a tremendous beginning to a story. We need more!!!! Im now stomping my feet and ranting until you promise at least a little more to the story!!!

 

Oh, by the way. I Really loved it. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/13/2015 07:05 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Hey Val...

It may be the last thing you want to hear but I think there's going to be a clamor for followups. Not sure what your plans for the prompts are this year but if it fits into what you want to do, I would enjoy reading a bit more about Ray, Nathan and Jonathan.

If not, this was a lovely little tale!

Thanks for sharing,

Carlos

These guys are still rattling around in my brain, so maybe we'll see more of them. I have a few prompt responses that I'd love to expand on. It's just a matter of finding the time and energy to do it! I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/13/2015 07:29 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Hey Val!

Im not as polite and deferential as our meek and mild friend Carlos. This is a tremendous beginning to a story. We need more!!!! Im now stomping my feet and ranting until you promise at least a little more to the story!!!

 

Oh, by the way. I Really loved it. :)

Meek and mild Carlos? LOL! I think these guys have a lot more to tell so who knows if we'll see more of them? I'm glad you liked it so much, Cole. :hug:
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Poor kid :( Poor Nate :( Good thing he found his uncle and I hope they can help each other to move forward as a family :)Let them adopt a cat too :P Great start ! What did Ray and Nate fight over ? More please :):2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/13/2015 11:20 AM, Slytherin said:
Poor kid :( Poor Nate :( Good thing he found his uncle and I hope they can help each other to move forward as a family :)Let them adopt a cat too :P Great start ! What did Ray and Nate fight over ? More please :):2thumbs:
I can see I'm going to have to do something with these guys. I'll have to check out some other prompts and see if I can come up with something. All we know so far about Ray and Nate's troubles is that Nate was working a lot and not making enough time for Ray. We'll have to see if there's more to it than that. Thanks for the review! :hug:
  • Like 2
Link to comment

When I read that prompt I wondered how on earth anyone could do something with it. I'm impressed you managed to wring the hearts of your readers so brilliantly. My only question is how on earth he found Nate? But so lucky he did. Oh and I wonder what social services will say to a gay teen staying with a gay couple. Hopefully, they'll get an open-minded case worker.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/14/2015 09:17 AM, Timothy M. said:
When I read that prompt I wondered how on earth anyone could do something with it. I'm impressed you managed to wring the hearts of your readers so brilliantly. My only question is how on earth he found Nate? But so lucky he did. Oh and I wonder what social services will say to a gay teen staying with a gay couple. Hopefully, they'll get an open-minded case worker.
Thanks, Tim. Those are some good questions. We'll see what the future holds for these guys. Thanks for reading and leaving a review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

So what is needed to keep these boys rattling around in your head? I can chase them a little if you like!

 

All funnies aside, this is a well written piece that screams "more".

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/17/2015 06:33 AM, Kitt said:
So what is needed to keep these boys rattling around in your head? I can chase them a little if you like!

 

All funnies aside, this is a well written piece that screams "more".

Thanks, Kitt. :) I've already started working on the next installment. Prompt 386 is perfect with 'angry teenager' in the word list. :P
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..