Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,229 Words
  • 1,511 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 3. Prompt 386 - The Minor part 2

Use the following words in a story – angry teenager, a bright pink balloon, an elephant, a pie, and a note.

“How on earth did you find me? We’re a long way from California,” I said.

“There was a note in the box of pictures of you that I found. It had your name and an address. There wasn’t a phone number and your number is unlisted so I couldn’t call first.” Jonathan was hungrily eyeing the pancakes and bacon I was making. “I was really hoping that you hadn’t moved.”

“It’s pretty good timing, actually. Ray and I are saving to buy a house.”

“Where is Ray?”

“Still sleeping. He’ll wake up as soon as he smells the bacon and coffee.”

“How long have you guys been together?”

“Ten years.”

“I’ve never met any other gay people before. Well, except for Jeremy. The boy I was kissing.” He turned bright red.

“I imagine you have a lot of questions.”

“Yeah. I’m pretty confused. My parents used to say such horrible things.”

“Well, none of them are true. We can talk about it after breakfast.”

I put a stack of pancakes on a plate along with some slices of bacon and placed it in front of my nephew. He dug in after pouring syrup over the pancakes.

“It smells wonderful in here,” Ray said, yawning.

“Morning, hun,” I said as I poured him a cup of black coffee. I went to kiss his cheek, but he moved away, sipping his coffee, and sat at the table. It was a not-so-subtle reminder that we still needed to have our conversation.

“So what’s the plan for today?” Ray asked.

I set a plate full of pancakes and bacon in front of him. “Well, I need to talk to my brother and then we’ll go from there.”

Jonathan froze in mid-bite, a look of terror on his face.

“Relax, Jonathan. I’m not going to send you back, but I do need to talk to him and let him know where you are.” I glanced at Ray. “Ray and I also need to talk.”

“About me?”

“Among other things,” I said.

“You guys are fighting, aren’t you?” He asked.

“We’re going through a bit of a rough patch right now, but we’ll be ok.” I glanced at Ray, hoping that my words were true. His impassive face gave me no answers.

We finished breakfast and Ray headed off to work while Jonathan helped me with the dishes. As much as I didn’t want to talk to my brother, I knew I couldn’t put off the phone call so I settled into Ray’s office and dialed. My brother answered after the second ring.

“Hello, Brad.”

“Nate. Why are you calling me?”

“I came home yesterday to find your son sleeping on my doorstep.”

He snorted. “Figures that’s where he went. I honestly don’t care. Do what you want with the little freak.”

“How can you talk about your own son like that?”

“He’s no son of mine.”

“You know, what you did to me was bad enough. Doing it to your own son is reprehensible.”

“Don’t you dare lecture me about my son!”

“You don’t deserve to be called a father, Brad. He’s better off without you.”

“That’s rich coming from you, faggot.”

I counted to ten before replying. “Nice to see you haven’t changed. I assume you won’t oppose me if I seek custody?”

“Do whatever the hell you want. I wash my hands of the piece of shit.”

“I’ll consult with my lawyer and have him send you the paperwork.” I wasn’t going to let him bait me, no matter how much I wanted to tell him off. The words had all been said fifteen years ago.

“Whatever.” He hung up on me.

I stood and threw the phone against the wall where it shattered before hitting the floor. I sat at Ray’s desk with my head in my hands, willing the tears to go away.

“Uncle Nate?” Jonathan stepped into the office tentatively. “Are you ok?”

I nodded, then shook my head. “Some things never change.” I stood up and Jonathan followed me into the living room, where we both sat on the couch. “Your father isn’t going to oppose me when I seek custody of you. I need to talk to my lawyer and Ray if this is what you want.”

Jonathan nodded. “I don’t know where else to go. I don’t want to go to foster care or end up on the streets.”

“I won’t let that happen.” I drew him close. “You’ll have it better than I did, I promise. You will never have to worry about having a home.”

“What happened after you left?”

I sat back. “I don’t think this is the time for that discussion. Why don’t you go get dressed and I’ll call my lawyer and make an appointment?”

“Ok.” Jonathan grabbed his backpack and headed into the bathroom. He emerged a little while later and we headed out to do some shopping before our appointment with the lawyer that afternoon.

The mall happened to be having their annual “Circus of Savings” event, which was good for my pocketbook, but otherwise very annoying. There were little kids and harried parents everywhere. Colorful clowns handed out bright pink, blue, and yellow balloons shaped like elephants and other circus animals. They even had a petting zoo in the middle of the mall.

We wove our way through the throng and I purchased several new outfits for my nephew before it was time to head to the lawyer’s office.

The news from the lawyer was good. As long as Brad agreed to relinquish custody the case should be pretty open and shut. The lawyer called Brad to get his verbal agreement to the change in custody and I was very glad he recorded the call after listening to the diatribe my brother spewed forth. Poor Jonathan sat, pale as a ghost, listening to the horrible things his father was saying about him and me. I had nothing but sympathy for the kid. I knew exactly how he felt. We left after getting the preliminary paperwork started.

I drove in mostly silence. “Hey, we’re right near my favorite bakery. Let’s stop and pick up a pie for dessert. This place makes a pecan pie to die for.”

Jonathan nodded numbly.

I pulled into the bakery’s parking lot.

“We can get another pie too, if you’d like. Pecan is Ray’s favorite.”

“Why does my dad hate me so much? Just for who I am? I haven’t changed. Why does this one thing about me matter so much? I don’t get it.”

I sighed and squeezed his shoulder. “I don’t get it either, Jonathan. It shouldn’t matter who you love, but for some reason it matters a great deal to some people.”

“Why?” He wailed. “It’s not fair! It’s not fair!” He yelled and slammed his fists on the dashboard of the car. “How can they just stop loving me? I love them so much!” He dissolved into wracking sobs and I embraced him tightly, letting him cry out the pain of his parents’ betrayal. This was my first experience with an angry, hurt teenager and I knew it was going to get worse before it would get better.

“It’s not fair, but it does get better,” I said.

He sniffled and nodded. “Thanks Uncle Nate. For everything.”

“You got it, kid. C’mon. Let’s go get that pie.”

I hope you enjoyed the next installment of Nate and Jonathan's story. There's more to come!
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you, thank you, thank you, oh crap that was intense. I think I had to remind myself to breathe. You've done good creating a character who will take good care of a lost kid. That's the type of person I would call a real hero. Thanks again Val, I look forward to the next installment

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Point me in the direction of the father :evil: I have a piece of two by four around here somewhere....

Great chapter, can't wait to read more. :read:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

"Wait up, Cazpedroso, I am going with you !"

Poor kid :( Poor Nate, wounds that weren't healed opened up again (I hope you understand what I mean). They need eachother and will hopefully move on in the right direction to a Bright future. Great chapter. Nate needs to talk to Ray pretty soon too :)

Well done, Penguin :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/21/2015 07:36 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you, oh crap that was intense. I think I had to remind myself to breathe. You've done good creating a character who will take good care of a lost kid. That's the type of person I would call a real hero. Thanks again Val, I look forward to the next installment
I'm glad you liked it ,Carlos. Nate is a great guy doing the right thing. He's definitely Jonathan's hero. Thanks for the review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/21/2015 08:45 AM, Caz Pedroso said:
Point me in the direction of the father :evil: I have a piece of two by four around here somewhere....

Great chapter, can't wait to read more. :read:

Do you have several 2x4s? I think there may be a shortage... Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/21/2015 09:38 AM, Slytherin said:
"Wait up, Cazpedroso, I am going with you !"

Poor kid :( Poor Nate, wounds that weren't healed opened up again (I hope you understand what I mean). They need eachother and will hopefully move on in the right direction to a Bright future. Great chapter. Nate needs to talk to Ray pretty soon too :)

Well done, Penguin :worship:

Thanks, LBO. :) Nate and Ray need to have their talk sooner rather than later. Hopefully Ray will be understanding and supportive. We'll find out in the next installment!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/21/2015 10:46 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I really like Nate and Jonathan. I wonder what Ray's issue is. Hmmm! Hope we get to see more!. Thanks Val! :)
We'll find out next time when Ray and Nate have their talk. Thanks for the review, Cole. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/14/2015 10:55 AM, Puppilull said:
This almost had me in tears...
Jonathan's been through stuff that no one should have to go through. Thanks for reading. :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..