Jump to content
    vlista20
  • Author
  • 3,244 Words
  • 5,615 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shane - 20. Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Tad started buying things for Thanksgiving dinner a week and a half before the actual event. Shane who had been grocery shopping with him every week since school started picked on him as he picked pumpkin pie mix, chocolate pudding for cream pie and graham crackers for crusts off the shelves.

“You have to make sure you are ready Shane. You don’t mess around with the holidays at our house. One missed side dish or dessert could set Don off in a rage that could last til Christmas.”

Shane only laughed harder not at all able to picture Don in a rage. Tad turned to him grinning. “I need flower, confectioners sugar and regular sugar.” He pointed to the other end of the aisle. “You think you can handle that?”

Shane nodded and took off up the aisle. A minute later he returned with the goods and dropped them into the cart. “So who else comes to dinner?”

“Aaron and Jason are coming down with one of their students.”

Shane’s eyes lit up. “How come you didn’t tell me that sooner?”

Tad shrugged and grinned. “You didn’t ask. I was beginning to think you could care less about our grand thanks giving dinner.”

Leaning over the back of the cart Shane looked at him guiltily. “Well I do care. I’m actually kinda excited.”

“Don’t imagine you ever celebrated before did you?”

Shane shook his head. “My dad always went and got the free food baskets down at welfare but we never had a thanksgiving meal. He just cooked up the turkey and ate it. Then have the other stuff whenever he felt like it.”

“He didn’t share the turkey with you?”

“No,” Shane scoffed. “He’d wolf it all down himself. He was a big ole pig.”

“Well he was a lot of things. None of them good.”

Shane laughed and nodded his head in full agreeance.

“So how was practice tonight?

“Good, coach says I’m ready for the first meet. But that’s not for another three weeks. I’m nervous as hell but excited at the same time.” He absolutely loved practices and really liked everyone else on the team. And though it meant facing Derek every day in the locker room after practice, since basketball practice was the same time as swim practice that was the only draw back and the benefits far out weighed that one bad part.

He still got to stay out of study hall to swim with Seth and they both got an extra hour of practice. The first hour was unsupervised however and they spent a lot of it most days just goofing around.

He followed Tad out of the aisle and up to a freezer piled high with Turkeys. “You are gonna get that now too?”

“Well yeah, they’re frozen. Best get it while the pickings are good.”

“You’re such a good mom Tad.” Shane snickered into his hand while Tad whacked him upside the head with his list. “Okay smart ass. How big a turkey do you think we gotta get?”

“Well,” Shane held out five fingers. “We are gonna have six people. Say when you go to the restaurant you usually have a choice between a ten and fourteen ounce steak so we’ll go with ten since they’ll be so much else to eat which mean we’d need 60oz. There are 16 ounces in a pound.” He was so busy doing his math he did not notice Tad having all he could do to keep from laughing. “We’d need a little over a three pound turkey.”

He looked over at Tad who was no longer able to hold in his laughter. His own eyes widened in amusement. “What’s so funny.”

Tad composed himself and leaned on his hand over the freezer he looked back at Shane chuckled one last time then shook his head and re-composed himself. “I like your reasoning Shane. I even like your math. But I don’t think there is such a thing as a three pound turkey.” He glanced back down at the turkeys. “See you gotta take into consideration that the bones weigh quite a bit. Plus you have to think of Turkey soup, turkey sandwiches and turkey pot pie to have as meals the rest of the week. See only the most experienced Holiday planners know the wonders of leftover Turkey. All the possibilities.”

“Well then I’d say we need a fifty pound turkey.”

“That’s closer.” Tad laughed and started looking them over. He hefted one up and set it in the bottom of the cart.

“Holy crap Tad that’s huge.”

“27 lbs. You are gonna have turkey coming out your ears by December 1st.”

“Can’t wait.” Shane clapped his hands together firmly then put them back on the cart and pushed it along behind Tad.

They turned the next corner nearly running right into a woman’s cart. “Scuse me ma’am.” he looked past her and his eyes nearly popped out and rolled across the floor seeing Derek was with her. He sort of froze there while the woman looked at him funny and Derek looked at him with the usual pitiful look he usually had on his face.

“Come on Shane.” Tad called over from a few feet away. “We’ve got provisions to buy.”

Shane swallowed hard the sudden look of shock on the woman’s face only making him more nervous as he figured she knew exactly who he was from his name being said plus his reaction of freezing right there in front of her.

He quickly turned his cart and pushed it around the woman’s giving Derek a wide girth as he hurried up to Tad.

Iona Kirk hurried out of the aisle then turned to Derek. “Was that, that boy you went out with?”

Derek swallowed hard and nodded.

“He lives here now?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Does he go to your school?”

“Yes,”

She looked at him sympathetically and rubbed his arm. “How come you didn’t tell me?”

Derek shrugged and she shook her head. “God. That must be hard. For him more then you I imagine.”

“I know,”

She looked back down the aisle at Shane who quickly turned his head when he saw her looking. She did not in any way condone what her son had done and felt very sorry for the boy he’d done it too. She felt bad for them both now that she knew they had to face each other every day. Derek was totally wrong in what he had done but in her mind he had paid for it and was certainly very sorry for it. She knew though there was no way he would ever be able to make it up to Shane. Nothing could ever be done to make what Derek had done to him right.

Shane was on his way to English the next day when Jimmy ran up to him in the hall. He grabbed Shane by the wrist and drew him out of the main stream of traffic. “Shane I gotta ask you a huge favor.” he looked desperate and Shane immediately felt fearful that something had happened to Kenny.

He nodded. “Sure Jimmy what?”

“Well, me and my dad go away everything Thanksgiving. We go to his parents and he don’t want any of them knowing I’m queer so he won’t bring Kenny. Kenny won’t stay at the house if I’m not there. He needs a place to go. Last year he was supposed to stay at Tim’s.” Jimmy leaned against the wall and took a deep breath looking like he’d been running for a while. “He didn’t want to be a burden though.” He shook his head sadly then looked back at Shane. “He stayed in some damned abandoned ware house all week.”

Shane’s heart trembled hating to think of poor Kenny out on the streets when everyone else was sitting around with their families enjoying the holiday.

“I think though. That he just may stay with you.” Jimmy smiled warmly and squeezed Shane’s wrist tighter looking like he was about to cry. “He really likes you man. Shane this and Shane that. You are all he talks about anymore.”

Shane smiled totally flattered.

“I can’t stay home with him. If I do my dad will get pissed and kick us both out. He doesn’t ask much of me so I figure I can oblige him with this. But I can’t leave Kenny in the lurch. He needs to have a good Holiday too. He deserves it more then anyone.” Jimmy smiled again. “Well except maybe you. So anyways what I’m beating around the bush here about is...”

Shane held up his hand. “Don’t worry about it Jimmy. I’d love to spend thanksgiving with Kenny and I’d love for him to spend the week at my house.” he was absolutely sure Tad and Don would have no problem with it as he’d told them a lot about Kenny and always said they’d do whatever they could to help the kid if he ever needed it.

“I got one more favor.” Jimmy said looking very pleased with Shane’s offer to help.

“Anything Jimmy.”

“Well he’s real funny like I said about what he considers charity. He doesn’t want to be anyone’s charity case. So can you not tell him I asked. Just say you heard I was going away and ask him where he’s staying. He’ll make something up but act real sad and say oh I was hoping you’d want to come and stay with me.”

Shane grinned loving how well Jimmy knew him and how hard he tried to see his needs were met. “No problem.”

Jimmy threw his arms around him and gave him a big hug. “God Shane thanks so much. You are saving my life here.”

Shane hugged him back. “Anytime Jimmy. I like Kenny a lot, I like you a lot. I’m glad to help.”

Jimmy squeezed him tighter then let go of him as the bell rang. “I wont forget this Shane. I will forever be in your debt.”

Before Shane could tell him there was no need he was off and running back down the hall.

He did not get a chance to talk to Kenny til Sign language class. Kenny looked depressed like he had that morning in art only difference was now Shane knew why.

The teacher droned on and on and finally set them to work signing different things to each other. “I heard Jimmy was going away for Thanksgiving. You going with him?”

Kenny shook his head his eyes studying his hand that was propped up with his elbow ready for some signing. “I’m going to my Aunt’s.”

Shane nodded putting on a depressed face. “You go there every year?”

“No, first year. Last year I stayed at Jimmy’s and before that I was at home.”

“Did you celebrate at home?”

Kenny shrugged then shook his head. “My dad wasn’t much for holidays.”

“Yeah mine neither. In fact this year will be my first official Thanksgiving.”

Kenny looked him in the eye and Shane could see pain there. “I’m sorry about that.”

“What did we discuss about apologizing to each other for those things?” Shane asked grinning.

Kenny grinned back. “Sorry,” He smacked himself in the head then shook his head. “I mean I’m not sorry, who gives a shit.”

Shane laughed and the teacher told them to quiet down. Shane leaned closer and talked quieter. “I was asking cause I thought maybe you hadn’t celebrated before either. I thought it might be fun for us to celebrate our first thanksgivings together. You could spend the week at my house, we could help Tad make all the food. You know really get into it.”

Kenny looked down at the floor and started rubbing at his eyes.

“Why you crying?” Shane asked knowing full well why but not wanting to blow Jimmy’s cover.

Kenny shook his head refusing to look up. “Well maybe I could get out of going to my Aunts. I never liked her much.”

Shane grabbed him by the wrist. “So you will?” He asked excitedly.

Kenny looked up at him and smiled. “I’d really love to.”

Shane hugged him tightly. “Oh I’m so glad. We are gonna have so much fun. God I can’t wait.” He really couldn’t wait. He loved Kenny like a brother and was really looking forward to getting to act that way for a full week.

Derek walked up to Shane again in the locker room before gym. “You living with that guy?”

“What guy?” in his excitement over Kenny who was again in the toilet stall he forgot all about the run in at the grocery store last night.

“The one you were with last night.”

“Oh, yeah,”

“That’s great. I’m glad you aren’t living with your dad anymore. How did that come about?”

“My dad kicked me out. Tad and Don took me in.”

“Two guys?”

“Yeah,” Shane grinned which nearly made Derek fall over as he’d not seen anything but a stone face from Shane since the first day of school. “Mr. Mason’s gay did you know that?”

Derek’s eyes widened and he chuckled. “No I had no idea. So you live with him then?”

Shane nodded. “He’s great. Tad’s great. I’m real happy now.” He didn’t like how nice he was being but over the weeks of Derek timidly trying to talk to him every day he was wearing down. His hate was turning more to dislike something at least tolerable.

“I’m real happy for you.”

“Me too. Was that your mom?”

Derek nodded trying to hide his elation that Shane was actually talking to him and not yelling.

“Your dad told me you was living with her. Said she put you in some anger management type thing.”

“Mental hospital.”

Shane looked him in the eye. “Really?”

“Well,” He looked down at the floor and shrugged. “Yeah that’s what it was. I was there for six months.”

Shane stepped over the bench and sat down heavily. “Just cause of what you did to me?”

Derek sat down across from him. “Isn’t that enough Shane?”

Shane rubbed the back of his neck. “Well no Derek. I think that’s pretty harsh.”

Derek’s heart seemed to melt all over the floor wondering for the millionth time how he could have been so fucking dumb as to throw away someone as wonderful as Shane. “It wasn’t one of those places that had bars on the windows or anything Shane. It was more like a college dorm except instead of sitting around and jawing the shit you sat around and talked about what the heck is the matter with you.”

“I’m sorry Derek. I didn’t know, it really doesn’t change much. I still will never forgive you for what you did. But maybe I shouldn’t be so rude. I guess you’ve probably suffered right along with me huh?”

“I’ve suffered a lot Shane. But I deserved it. You didn’t. I don’t want you apologizing to me. That will only make me feel worse.”

Shane grinned and stood up he patted Derek on the shoulder. “Well then I can only say one thing.”

Derek looked up at him Shane’s touch sending bolts of electricity through him. “What?”

Shane grinned wider. “I’m sorry.”

Derek shook his head and chuckled. “Okay I opened myself up for that one.”

Shane laughed. “Yeah you did.”

That night at dinner Shane asked Tad and Don about Kenny. “See he’s got no place to go. Last year he holed up in a warehouse. Jimmy’s all upset he doesn’t want him doing that again this year.”

“Shane.”

“It’s just that Kenny ain’t ever celebrated thanks giving either. I think he ought to join us cause it’s gonna be real special.”

“Shane.”

He nodded at the mention of his name then continued. “And it’s gonna be cold out all week. And he just shouldn’t sleep outside.” Don smacked his hand down on the table Shane jumped so he dropped his fork full of potato on the floor. “I’m sorry,” He said leaning down and picking it up. “It’s okay, I’ll just tell Jimmy...”

“Shane stop.” Don squeezed his shoulder and laughed. “I told you five minutes ago now that he could. You don’t have to keep trying to talk us into it. We’d love to have him here.”

Shane blushed and grinned shyly. He put his elbow up on the table and pressed his forehead into it. Don rubbed his back while he continued to chuckle and smiled over at Tad.

“I was just nervous. I knew you’d say yes. I just hated to ask.”

“Don’t ever hate to ask us anything Shane. You can always ask us anything. We may not always say yes. But you never gain anything by not asking.” he sat back and rubbed his hands together. “And as far as Kenny staying here. Well I think we’d always say yes to that. You two sound like two peas in a pod.”

Shane grinned again. “He’s my best friend.”

“What about Seth?”

“Well that’s complicated.”

“You and Seth are getting along aren’t you?”

“Oh sure,” Shane had never explained to them just how their relationship worked but saying what he just said he owed them somewhat of an explanation. “Seth and I are more then best friends. We are more like,” he waved his hand around trying to find the right word. “Surrogate boyfriends. Sam is my boyfriend but Seth fills in when Sam’s not around.”

Don looked real confused. “You and Seth have sex?”

“Well yeah, but it’s more then just that. It’s like we are family.” He laughed a little bit. “He calls it an incestual family. But that’s really what it’s like.”

“And he calls me a hippie.” Tad said with a laugh. “You guys and your communal love that’s total hippie.”

Don looked over at Tad then back at Shane. “That doesn’t seem like a good thing to me.”

Tad smacked him on the arm. “Remember Johnny Marco? What do you think that was all about. It’s the same thing these guys are doing and we turned out okay.”

Shane looked over at Tad. “What are you talking about? Whose Johnny Marco?”

“This kid that Don and I palled around with in highschool. The three of us were like a couple. The same way you, Seth and Sam are.”

“And Matt.”

Tad chuckled. “And Matt.” he said with a wave of his hand like maybe he should have known that. “It’s no big deal Don. God you are an old stodger sometimes.”

Don sighed then grinned as well. “You are right. I had nearly forgotten about old Johnny. God I am old.” He smacked his hand against his forehead then ran it down his face. “And a little jealous.” He said looking over at Shane. “If I were your age again I’d have walked over broken glass to hop in bed with someone as hot as Seth.”

Shane put his hand over his mouth and laughed heartily. “You got the hots for Seth?”

Don grinned and shook his head. “No I said if I were that age. I ain’t no cradle robber. He is a very attractive young man though.”

“You should see the size of his....” Before he could finish Don cuffed him upside the head. “I don’t need to know that Shane.” He said laughing right along with Tad and Shane.

Copyright © 2011 vlista20; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..