Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 2,039 Words
  • 1,924 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Causality - 1. Introduction

因果 (Causality)

By W.L

Introduction:

 

From the beginning of time to the end of dynasties to the start of new ages, how many heroes have sought answers to eternal questions: Who am I? Who are you? What do I desire? What do you desire? Humanity has been plagued with questions from our hearts and minds for eons. In our myths and legends, we have sought to describe these questions and find appropriate answers that would satisfy our curiosity and end our search. Yet, all these answers merely lead to more questions and boundless possibilities, culminating in the question: Where are “we” going?

 

I am Chinese in many ways: ethnically, culturally, philosophically, and spiritually. While, I will accept western ideals, I still hold many concepts and views that are alien to western tradition. I think part of the differences can be traced back to how the Far East developed our cultures and philosophies. Many people know about Greek mythology and its pantheon of Gods, legends, and even heroes. However, how many people actually know the existence of Eastern pantheons or their myths. I am most familiar with Taoist, Confucian, and Buddhist concepts from my heritage, but I also hold interest in Shinto, Tegriism, Hinduism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, and other religious and/philosophical ideologies. There are many myths in Asia concerning magic and powerful beings. Some myths are based on humans with extraordinary gifts. Others are based on creatures that will leave you with nightmares for the rest of your life. It all sounds too fantastical to be real, which I tend to agree. Most writers that describe these myths and beings tend towards fantasy genre.

 

Yet, I wonder what if these myths were real, under another viewpoint and perspective. Science has proven many things to be impossible from myths, but I think it has also allowed these myths to be reborn as well into the modern world. In the field of engineering, have we not developed the ability to fly through machines? In the fields of biology, is it not possible that a half human animal-hybrid could be created within this century by unscrupulous geneticists? In the field of medicine, can we not imagine a day when immortality is merely an elixir or a pill? In the field of physics, can we not destroy the Earth on a whim of vengeance, even now?

 

What if all those myths were merely early attempts at scientific theories that are only now beginning to dawn into the mainstream? For many people in the last 200 years, Asian nations and people have been very backwards. They were technologically inferior on almost every level at the dawn of the 19th century, but 500 years ago, China, India, Mongolia, and Japan were at the zenith of technology and knowledge in almost every area, while the western world was still using leeches and burning people for witchcraft. Asia’s decline coincided with the western Renaissance and the Scientific Revolution, which many historians at the turn of the 20th century ascribed to “backwards” traditions and “inferior” intellects of “oriental” civilizations compared to western civilization. Some nations like Japan and Siam chose to emulate western custom and traditions, which allowed them to achieve stability and independence in an age of imperialism. Other nations like China, the Indian principalities, and southeastern Asian kingdoms stood by their traditions; they would later be broken, colonized, or integrated by force. Yet, at the turn of the 21st century, the entire region of Asia has become a new center of progressive technologies rivaling western counterparts in both scale and usability.

 

Underneath this development, I see the aspects of native philosophical, religious, and even mythical concepts. For example, before the addition of superstition, Taoism was a religion and philosophy of empirical observations. Inventions like gunpowder, paper, machine type press, and the compass can be traced to Taoist roots. Taoism, after its union with Mohism, was the original religion of science itself, placing the highest aspect of knowledge in nature as its principle pillar. It also spread into other cultures in Asia, but not as a religion, instead it became a philosophical and scientific ideology.

 

In this story, I push the envelope further with my imagination; if the Taoists had not stopped their investigation of sciences, but they began hiding their achievements, imagine the potential rewards and dangers. However, as Taoism in its modern form is a diffusion of concepts, the Taoism described in my novel is going to be a diffusion of the Mohist-Taoist branch outside the institutional mystic Daoism in China today or the Western “New Age” Taoism that has been popularized for spiritualists. The actual split of religious and philosophical Taoism is difficult to pinpoint in history; western and eastern historians are dumbfounded to this day over the nature of this quasi-religion and scientific philosophy.

 

In my novel, the Taoist sect is called the “Tao-Ming”. There are 5 groups in their secret society: Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth. Each group is responsible for its own research line, but shares their findings with everyone in their secret society. Metal is responsible for engineering and applied science, Wood is bio-engineering and biology, Water is Medicine and chemistry, Fire is weaponry and physics, and Earth is theoretical sciences.

 

One of my protagonists is from Earth element of the society, having some understanding of all the other group’s technological approaches. His name is Alex Liang Zhang. He is the current holder of the “Book of Fate”, one of the most obscure and powerful “Books of Knowledge” in Taoism. The book allows its holder to learn about the past, present, and possible futures of any individual. However, the book is viewed through the limited perspective of that individual, which is also how this story is structured based on excerpts from its infinite chapters. In my novel, the “Book of Fate” serves as a guide to Alex as he must balance his duties to the secret society and his job as a forensic expert, dealing with criminal investigations. It does not always reveal the murderer to him as the victim may not know his/her killer. Thus, he cannot rely on it alone, but he must rely on his training and his skills in forensic examination of evidence.

 

Alex is not alone in his journey; he has a companion named Patrick Xian Ling, who was his former boyfriend in life. Patrick died due to an accident, but Alex used special technology stolen from different groups within the Tao-Ming to keep his spirit “alive” in a way. This act brought him disdain within the secret society; the act of holding onto another’s spirit violates fundamental rules of nature and equilibrium. Due to this act, Alex forfeited his right to be the society’s future leader, but the “Book of Fate” did not abandon him, which resulted in his placement as a figurehead advisor to the current leader, his younger brother. Due to Patrick being a “stable” spirit, he serves as Alex’s spectral expert. He can question the deceased victim’s spirit, serving him as a secondary source of information in addition to his own skills.

 

At the start of the novel, the third protagonist meets Alex as they have both been re-assigned to a US federal task force with a tragic history. His name is Sidney Sam Po-Tai, a specialist in criminal profiling and pathology. He is an empath, a person with the gift of emotional insight. He uses his gifts to identify criminal profiles and can even relive partial memories of the killers/victims based on the strength of emotions. He has had a traumatic life due to his gift and his parents’ deaths, when he was young. He is unaware of the Tao-Ming at the beginning of the novel, but he will learn more about its secrets as he solves cases with Alex. Their relationship also develops as time passes, which is a major issue for his future. He also befriends Patrick, who likewise also enjoys his company and accepts him as part of their group.

 

The paradigm in these three Chinese characters is based on three philosophical and religious sources in Chinese civilization outside the bounds of Confucianism, which is indirectly referred. Taoist, Mohist, and Buddhist concepts are exhibited by these three characters. Historically, Taoism is based on observation and Mohism is based on practical utility, which in ancient times allowed Mohists to be the first major engineers in Chinese history.

 

In addition, I am borrowing western concepts from the old-fashioned police procedural storylines: Forensics evidence, witness testimonial, and criminal profiling within each character. In order to establish guilt and apprehend suspects, you need evidence, witnesses, and motive. These three characters all have somewhat paranormal or extra-sensory tools or abilities at their disposal, but they individually cannot solve cases alone just like real world law enforcement cannot arrest and charge suspects without following all three paths.

 

Behind the scenes, there is an ancient creature manipulating the course of the cases. This being possesses another book; it holds the “Book of Life and Death”. This book has been made famous by the Anime “Death Note”; among Asians, it is one of the most feared tomes in myth. In this novel, the “Book of Life and Death” holds powers to kill any mortal human being and deny death to another human being. This idea on how the book works is based on “natural equilibrium”, which is a concept that many eastern religions and philosophies follow. You cannot have death without life, nor life without death. Along with the book, this creature also holds several rare and powerful items from various mythologies.

 

What this being desires is something fundamentally good in Western tradition, the concept of “Fair”, but if viewed by non-western traditions, extremely dangerous. There is a disconnection with many American, European, and Middle Eastern mindsets concerning the concept that “fair” is the highest calling of humanity. Prejudice has been maintained in one form or another due to narrow views of “fair”, wars have been fought over the implementation of “fair”, and entire peoples have been targeted for genocide due to what another view is “fair”.

 

How does one judge what is fair and unfair? How does one create equality in a world that can never be equal? Even behind the scenes of modern life, there is a moral and ethical counterpoint to what is “Right” and “Wrong” in concerns of being fair. I’ve been trying for years to demonstrate to people the clear difference between ethical and moral behavior, which I think this being will do far better in action than I can in words or philosophies. The being is known by many names; in Japanese, it is Kyūbi, in Chinese, it is Jiǔwěihú, and in English, it is called “the Nine Tailed Fox”. Chinese, Japanese, and Korean myths have been very unkind on this creature with certain Chinese authors pointing towards it as a reason why the feminine element in nature must always be submissive towards masculine element in areas of politics and power. To the average man, the fox appears to be amoral and a ruthless usurper, but behind that part of the myth, it is also a down trodden figure that seeks to make “right” what fate has left it. In a way, I want to make this version of the fox to reflect the corrosive effects of power dynamics: racism, sexism, homophobia, and other characteristics that can lead to spite and a thirst for fairness. I took that idea and approach for this incarnation of the famous fox in another light with modern ideologies, while maintaining its nature in traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese mythology.

 

This story is based on ancient eastern fantasy and modern science fiction. I am also taking themes from the world issues like secrecy and security holding higher standing than truth and individuality, which will play a key role in the story. Mastering secret knowledge may provide a shield or a sword, but truth is the most dangerous weapon in the modern world, which the antagonist of this novel understands very well.

Copyright © 2014 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

okay a lot to take in at the moment, but i did study religion in school so I do understand i look forward to reading on and to beta for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

To write this introduction was a very good idea. At first the concept of this story is a little overwhelming, but with the introduction we can go back and read certain passages again or seek out further information.

I love 'Death Note', its art and the story. I'm very curious now about the first chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/05/2013 04:45 PM, aditus said:
To write this introduction was a very good idea. At first the concept of this story is a little overwhelming, but with the introduction we can go back and read certain passages again or seek out further information.

I love 'Death Note', its art and the story. I'm very curious now about the first chapter.

I hope you love it
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Your intro is very intriguing.  Although, based on my own research into world history, I don't agree 100% of your ideas. ie. China was not brought down by the Scientific Revolution and the west, but by the Confucianism resurgence and resulting isolationism after the death of the emperor Zhu Di.  I really look forward to reading this story.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..