Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 3,186 Words
  • 1,915 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kyle and Kodi - 3. Chapter 3

At 4 o’clock Kodi went in his front door, returning from school with a big goofball grin on his face, looking far happier than usual. His grin was so wide, showing so many of his pearly white teeth, that it put the Cheshire Cat to shame. Kodi normally storms in the front door followed by his own personal black cloud, slams it behind him as violently as possible, runs up to his bedroom stomping as loudly on the stairs as he can, and then slams his bedroom door just for good measure.

Why Kodi was so happy returning from school this day was a simple one. So simple in fact, it almost beggars belief. The simple fact was that Kodi had a boyfriend; has now had a boyfriend for just over 24 hours, and he felt on top of the world. Not even his teachers, with all of their snide remarks and putdowns and their attempts at humiliation could bring him down from the high he was currently on. It’s doubtful even that a full scale nuclear war would have been enough to ruin Kodi’s mood today.

“Afternoon mum,” Kodi said cheerfully, as he entered the kitchen, and did something he hasn’t done in almost two years, he hugged her.

Janet saw her son with a big smile on his face, and the hug whilst very welcoming, was also a surprise. She knew her son had been unhappy since he started secondary school; she had an idea it was because of the way the teachers treated him, but because he had never directly said anything to her she couldn’t do anything to help.

“Afternoon, son. I won’t ask how you are, that smile says everything. I think this in the first time I’ve ever seen you come home from school happy. What’s up?”

“I can’t tell you yet. I’ll tell you and dad together at dinner tonight with the McMichaels’. It’s something you should both hear together, and it wouldn’t be right you knowing before dad.” Kodi saw the look of concern flash across his mum’s eyes, and quickly added, “It’s nothing bad I promise you.”

“Well at least I know you aren’t going to tell me that you’ve gotten some girl in the family way,” Janet said laughing, “But, since you’ve promised it’s nothing bad, I’ll leave it alone until tonight.”

“Thanks mum. I love you,” Kodi said hugging her again. He ran out of the kitchen and bounded upstairs to his bedroom, to get ready for dinner. Once a week on Fridays, Kyle and Kodi’s families had dinner together – nothing fancy or anything, no black tie, no fancy restaurant, just some good old fashioned home cooking. It was something both sets of parents had done before we were born, and they had simply carried on the tradition. This Friday it was Kyle's parents’ turn to play host.

Janet sat in the kitchen, actually becoming nervous. There was definitely something going on. Her son was happy, that much was blindingly obvious; he had hugged her; and had now said he loved her. Janet struggled to recall the last time her son had said those three little words to her. Janet knew that whatever this something was, it was a good thing; it had to be a good thing to bring about such a positive change in her son. Janet couldn’t really think what would make her son so happy – apart from the school burning down with all of the teachers inside. If Kodi had been straight she might have assumed he had found a girlfriend, but since he was gay it couldn’t be that; it never even entered her mind that he may have a boyfriend. That was, until her husband got home.

“Hi, honey, how was your day?” Richard asked, as he walked into the kitchen.

“A lot stranger than your day I’m willing to bet!” Janet replied with a grin.

“Oh, do tell.”

“Well, our son came home from school today, and he was smiling.”

“OK, Janet you win already,” Richard joked.

“Wait, it gets better. He hugged me, twice, and told me he loves me.”

“OK, Janet. How much have you had to drink today?” Richard asked, unable to contain his laughter.

“I’m serious Richard.”

“You’re telling me that our son, Kodi, blue eyes, blond hair, yea tall, told you that he loves you?”

“That’s right Richard. He also says that he has something to tell us; that he is going to tell us tonight at dinner. He’s promised me that it’s nothing bad, but I can’t help but wonder what it is?”

“Maybe he’s getting laid?” Richard joked.

“He can’t be getting laid honey, he’s gay. I already told him, that at least I know he isn’t going to say he’s gotten some nice girl in the family way.”

Richard stopped laughing just long enough to process what his wife had said, and then started laughing again. Not just laughing, deep belly laughs. He was laughing so hard, that tears were streaming down his face.

“What did I say that was so funny, Rich?”

“Oh Janet honey, you are priceless. Just because he’s gay, doesn’t mean he can’t be getting laid. He would just have a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend.”

“Rich, what do you mean? How would that even work?” Janet asked curiously.

“I’ll tell you later, when we’re tucked up in bed, so no one will have to deal with your reactions over dinner.”

“So do you really think he might be having sex?” Janet asked, suddenly very concerned.

“Janet, he’s 13 years old. I remember when I was 13, I was constantly horny, but you know my first time was on our wedding night. Just because it’s physically possible he’s having sex, I seriously doubt he is. We raised a good boy there. And gay or straight I think he’d wait, if not until his wedding night at least until he was 16 or so. But it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he’s found himself a boyfriend.”

“Do you really think so Rich?”

“Well, he goes to a lot of the youth groups around, so I’m sure he’s met a few nice boys who might have taken his fancy. All I’m saying is that that could explain why he is so happy. I remember at that age, nothing made me happier than having a girlfriend.”

“You’re right Richard. As a teenager, I can remember how happy I was when I had a boyfriend. But what is it going to be like for Kodi? I mean, how will two boys go out on date, or sit in the back row of the cinema and make out, or hold hands in public, or any of those sorts of things.”

Kodi was in the shower, so he was blissfully unaware of the conversation going on between his parents. He was being unusually fastidious about his appearance today. Not only had he showered thoroughly, he had washed his hair, sprayed on deodorant, and was now trying to decide what to wear. Normally for the weekly dinner it was strictly jeans and a sweater; but today he had laid out a pair of trousers, a white shirt and even a tie and black shoes. Why he was going to the extravagance he didn’t really know or understand, but it seemed right to him somehow – he was after all effectively ‘going courting’ as his parents would say. It would certainly be a shock for his parents seeing him wear what he called his funeral suit (since the only time it ever came out was a family funeral).

“Kodi, are you ready yet? We need to be leaving,” Janet shouted up the stairs.

“Coming, mum.”

When Kodi arrived at the bottom of the stairs the expression on his parents’ faces was priceless. He was decked out to the nines; he’d even combed his hair and shined his shoes.

“Damn Janet. This smart looking boy here surely can’t be our Kodi?”

“Dad, you are so not funny.”

Janet could only stare at her son in wonder.

“What’s up with waiter-boy here?”

“Jessica, what have I told you before ‘if you can’t say something nice’...”

“Then don’t say anything at all,” she pouted.

“But son, she does have a point. You’ve never bothered dressing smartly for dinner before.”

“Well like I told mum earlier, I’ve got something to tell you.”

“Well, your dad here has the crazy notion you’ve gotten yourself a boyfriend,” Janet said.

Kodi was struck dumb – leave it to parents to know things before they get told.

“Wait...is he right, Kodi?”

All poor Kodi could do was nod his head. This was so far not going exactly as he had planned – he had envisaged a nice dinner, and then just before dessert came out he would tell his parents and Kyle would tell his parents.

“Kodi has a boyfriend... Kodi has a boyfriend... Kodi has a boyfriend.” Jessica chanted. “Wait a minute, how does that work?” Jessica suddenly stopped, and you could see the cogs slowly turning. “Oh!” she said, smiling.

“Jessica, if you say one more word then you are grounded until you are thirty young lady,” Richard said. “So Kodi, who is it? Anyone I know?”

“I said I’ll tell you at dinner, and I’ll tell you at dinner, not before.” Kodi was starting to get very defensive; this was definitely not going according to his plan.

“Awww, Janet. Is our little boy blushing?”

“I think he is Richard,” Janet said, smiling.

“Let’s just go, shall we or we’ll be late,” I stated matter-of-factly.

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

10 minutes later Kodi and his family walked through my front door. I saw Kodi all tarted up, and fell in love all over again. Though I was struggling with the picture in front of me - seeing him in a suit just didn’t look right.

“Hi Mr and Mrs Waughrin, Jessie, Kodi,” I said as I let them in. “Mum and dad are in the dining room, go on through.”

Kodi held back to talk to me while his family went to the dining room.

“My parents know I have a boyfriend.”

“How? I thought we were going to wait until dinner was over before telling them?”

“They know I have boyfriend, but not that it’s you. Mum saw how happy I was after school today; she told dad; dad made some joke to her about how I was either getting laid or had a boyfriend; and then just before we left the house, mum said to me that dad had some crazy idea I had a boyfriend and she asked me if it was true. All I could do was nod my head, I was absolutely speechless.”

“So I take it Jessica knows as well?”

“Yeah. She’s surprisingly been pretty cool about it so far – she teased me a bit, but she hasn’t freaked out, like when she found out I was gay.”

“Well Kodi, you need to bear in mind she’s had over a year to get used to the idea of you being gay, and whether she understands fully or not, she must have at least, on some level, accepted the idea you would have a boyfriend at some point. Though, like you, I expected some kind of half-assed reaction from her.”

“But now I’ve got mum and dad badgering me for details. I told them I’ll tell them who my boyfriend is after dinner.”

As Kodi and I entered the dining room all eyes were on Kodi.

“Kodi, there was no need to dress up for dinner. You know this isn’t a formal occasion,” my mum said; but she still sounded very impressed none the less.

“I know Mrs McMichaels. I just thought that for once I should make an effort. You’ve been very kind to me over the years and the least I can do is dress smartly when you are kind enough to cook me dinner. You always dress smartly when you come over to ours, and it’s about time I started returning the courtesy.”

“Kodi, your parents tell me you’ve gotten yourself a boyfriend,” My dad said. “Anyone we know?”

Kodi glanced over to me, and I nodded, giving him the go ahead to tell our parents now before dinner.

“Well, I wanted to wait until after dinner, when I could tell you all properly, once I had figured out how I was going to say it. But I suppose I could tell you all now.” Both sets of parents leaned closer to be able to get the juicy gossip.

“As you all now know, yes I do have a boyfriend. We only got together yesterday. He’s kind, funny, caring...”

“Kodi, just tell us already. We don’t need a resume. You’re the one that has to like him not us,” Janet said.

“Actually mum, you are going to have to like him. You, and dad, and Jessica are going to have to like him. You’ll be seeing him at home with me; he’ll be coming to dinner; you’ll see him at Easter, Christmas, New Year’s and all the other holidays; and if it lasts he’ll be like a son-in-law.”

“You know what I meant Kodi. You’ll find most parents dislike their children’s choice of partner. Your grandmother, my mum, hated your dad when we first started going out.”

“You’ve also asked if you know who my boyfriend is. Well, you all do.” Kodi turned to me grinning.

“It’s me,” I said smiling, as I slipped an arm around Kodi’s waist and pulled him into me.

After a few seconds of silence, my dad started laughing. “Good one, Kyle. You really had me there for a minute.”

“It’s no joke dad,” I said, “Kodi and I are together, and God willing we will be together forever.”

“Kyle, you and Kodi have known each other your whole lives. How do you know you’re not confusing love with friendship?” Janet asked.

“Mum; Kyle and I had this discussion yesterday. It came as a bit of a surprise to the both of us as well. We talked about it, and we feel that it is love. A love that needs to grow and develop I’ll grant you, but we are in love. You’re the one who is always telling me, that love and a relationship are better if you are friends first; that love is always better if it just creeps up on you, and you don’t force it. Well, that’s exactly what’s happened here. Neither of us were looking for it, neither of us forced it, it just happened.”

“Well, I’m happy for the two of you,” said Richard.

“Here, here,” everyone echoed.

“How about you Jess?” Kodi asked his sister nervously. “I know you weren’t very comfortable when you found out I was gay. How do you feel about me having a boyfriend?”

“I’m happy for you...I really am. It will just take me a bit of time to get used the idea. At least you had the sense to pick someone cute.”

“Well, if you have any questions, any worries or concerns then come and talk to me about it,” Kodi said; relieved that at least Jess on this occasion didn’t storm out of the house suggesting which finger he could sit on, and she’d even managed to make a bit of joke as well.

“Until I get used to the idea, can you two just not do anything while I’m the room?” Jess asked.

“Only on the condition, that when you get a boyfriend, you and he don’t do anything in front of me or Kyle, until we get used to the idea of you being straight.” The entire table roared with laughter, after a few seconds of working out what her brother had said Jess started laughing as well.

“Jess, can you excuse us for a minute we need to have a serious talk with the boys,” Richard said.

“What’s up dad?” Kodi asked.

“First thing I want to know is who else knows about you two being boyfriends?”

“No one else dad, honestly.”

Richard looked at his son and asked, “What about Jon, Jenny and Mika?”

“Like I said dad, no one else knows. Kyle and I decided to tell you guys first, before we told Mika and the twins. We felt that we owed you guys that much, since you’ve all handled us coming out really well. Far better than a lot of parents you read about in the news. I know they’ll be upset they weren’t the first to be told, but they’ll get over it; and since they are our friends, they’ll also understand why we wanted to tell you first.”

“I can live that. I also wanted to talk about sex. Now I know we’ve already had the talk about the birds and the bees, and I know what you’ve been told at school, but we need to discuss the implications of you having a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend.”

“Dad, before you scar mum for life with the details of how two guys...you know. Let me reassure both of you, and you two as well Mr and Mrs McMichaels that we have both decided to wait before having sex.”

“Any kind of sex?” Dad asked, looking directly at me.

“As Kodi said, we have decided to wait. If, and I stress if, we decide to do anything more than kiss, it will be in the privacy of our own bedrooms, and you guys and Jessica will never know anything is happening.”

“What ‘any kind’ is there?” Asked Kodi’s mum slightly puzzled.

“Do you really want the graphic details at the dinner table, mum?” Kodi asked.

“Well, no. When we get home. Just take it easy on me; I don’t know how much my heart will be able take.”

The conversation over dinner was light and there was no further discussion of boyfriends, sex or indeed anything boyfriend/sex related. However, I knew both of our parents weren’t going to leave it alone. As the Waughrins were leaving, I gave Kodi a goodbye kiss on the cheek, and I could feel everyone’s head turning around.

“Oh, Kyle, I think they want a show,” Kodi whispered to me, so no one else could hear.

“Shall we give them something to remember then?” With that, I wrapped my arms around Kodi and kissed him on the lips. We both started to purr and just as our hands were about to move down to each other’s butts Kodi’s dad said, “Enough show boys. Let’s keep this PG in front of your sister shall we? Kodi, time to go.”

“Actually dad, I don’t think gay kissing is allowed in PG films.” Kodi turned to me, smiled and said, “Bye Kyle. See you tomorrow.”

As I kissed Kodi again I whispered, “Nos da, cariad”. I closed the door and locked it. Then I melted onto the floor, with our front door supporting my back.

 

Story discussion

Language note:

“Nos da” is Welsh for goodnight. It is pronounced as it is spelt.

“cariad” is Welsh for beloved. It is pronounced carry-ad.

Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like it, but there is some jumping around between first person and third person that gets a little confusing. You may want to have a look at that. Other than that a very nicely written chapter.

Link to comment
On 03/10/2012 04:40 AM, Taliesin69 said:
I like it, but there is some jumping around between first person and third person that gets a little confusing. You may want to have a look at that. Other than that a very nicely written chapter.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have a look and see what happened.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..