Jump to content
    Frostina
  • Author
  • 969 Words
  • 1,208 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trying to... - 4. Trying to Breathe Easy

Writing prompt #39. Hope I made it work.

“After the break, we return with the breaking news of an adoption scam.”

Tyler stared at the television, his eyes wide and heart pounding; not quite watching the image of the smart lady fade into commercials. Adoption scam? Anything to do with babies, and his mind went on an overdrive. He looked at the clock; he still had over three minutes before the news came on again.

‘Eli,’ he called from the base of the stairs. ‘It’s bed time.’

His daughter was usually not the one to stay up past her bedtime; so when he heard no sounds from upstairs, he just assumed she had slept off early and went to the kitchen to grab a beer before returning to his recliner in front of the TV.

He sat just as an unfamiliar reporter appeared on the screen.

“It is a frightening day for all the adoptive families in the town of Lyddle End as we uncover one of the greatest scams that has this peaceful town in uproar. Earlier today, Mr. Hornby of Thirty-five South End Street, a proud parent of a four month old baby boy, took his son to the Emergency room when the baby showed signs of a bad skin rash.

“Imagine the shock when he was turned away from the only hospital in the town. He was told to take his ‘son’ to Dr. Hunter. Living in a town whose populace know each other almost by their first names, it was no surprise that a referral to the resident veterinarian angered the twenty seven year old Mr.Hornby to no end.

“Shocked, baffled and not to mention pissed off, he demanded to see the Head of the department.

“Dr. Templar, a renowned paediatrician who is in charge of the department, was summoned to pacify the almost hysterical dad.

“Following a quick visual examination, Dr. Templar had to impart very disturbing news to the already antagonised father: his ‘son’ was, in fact, a baby ape. Therefore, to be treated properly, he needed to be under the care of Dr. Hunter, the best their town had.

“Imagine the trauma Mr. Hornby faced when he was delivered with such preposterous news. Not only he had to deal with the emotional pain of having his baby ripped away from his arms, when the Animal Control were notified of the fallacy, but he is also now short of quite a large amount of money that had gone into the process of acquiring the baby itself.”

Tyler’s beer was growing warm in his hand, still unopened as he looked at the flashing scenes on the television, slack jawed and wide eyed.

“After a formal complaint was made, the police tried to check up on the agency. Not only did they not find the perpetrators, but they have not even been able to gather any evidence that speaks for Mr. Hornby’s claims, that the agency had swindled him into adopting a shaved baby ape.

“This is a request from Animal Control that new, adoptive parents should immediately take their babies in for a check-up, and confirm whether or not their children are, in fact, of the Homo sapiens variety.”

The sound of glass shattering brought Tyler out of his reverie; he looked around the drawing room. There wasn’t any sign of broken glass anywhere. He stood up to go into the kitchen when he felt that something was wrong. His legs felt wobbly and he couldn’t walk fast enough towards the obvious scraping sounds coming from the kitchen.

‘Eli?’ He called out; there was only one person in the house, but he still wanted to make sure.

“God, please let my Eli be human!” Was the first thought in his fogged brain, when he didn’t immediately get a reply.

‘Dad, don’t come in!’ Eli called out, a certain urgency in her voice.

‘What? Are you hurt? What happened?’

If anything, her warning just made him rush faster towards her.

‘Broken glass- bare feet- DAD, stop!’ Her voice was a squeal when she saw him hurrying towards her.

Tyler stopped, and looked around. The clock on the kitchen wall told him it was past two in the morning. How long had he been watching the TV?

‘Dad, could you please get me my slippers? It’s beside my bed.’ Eli asked.

‘Huh?’ Tyler glanced around once, still feeling a little out of balance. She was talking; apes didn’t talk in coherent sentences. Relieved, he let out a breath and nodded. ‘Sure, give me a second.’

He made his way up the stairs, rubbing his itchy eyes. Shocked, he realised that he still had his contact lenses on. He made quick work of removing them and hurried back down with Eli’s slippers.

Together the duo started cleaning the broken bits of glass from the kitchen floor.

‘What happened, Angel?’ Tyler said softly as he emptied the dust pan in the bin.

‘I was just getting a glass of water, and I must have spilled some on the floor, because I slipped.’ Eli shrugged. ‘I called out to you earlier; the TV was on. I figured you’d fallen asleep; I thought I’d come wake you up after I got a drink.’

‘I fell asleep!’ The relief in his voice was palpable, he almost felt weak in the knees from the realisation that he must have been dreaming. No wonder his body hurt, he was in an awful position on the recliner.

‘Yes?’ Eli was looking at him with furrowed brows and narrowed eyes.

‘Nothing,’ he smiled, shaking his head. ‘I just had a weird dream!’

Tyler kissed her forehead and hugged her before he switched off the lights on the ground floor and together they walked up the stairs to get some well-deserved rest.

 

Tell me if this idea works... Here.

Yeah, I know that this doesnt add to the 'Tyler/Scott' dynamic too much. But, let me know what you think anyway. ^_^
Copyright © 2011 Frostina; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey Frosty! You women! Always multitasking! :P

 

I am afraid that, for all that it is an interesting idea, all it told me was that Tyler is something of a dedicated and slightly neurotic dad (and yeah, I know that neurosis about the kids is a pre-requisite in a parent!! lol). But we already knew this. It's one of his endearing, if slightly frustrating, qualities. I suppose it kinda filled that out a wee bitty, and it was fun to read - especially the bit where it looks like Eli has slipped off early and gone for a beer!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

 

Now ... let's get back to the tension, eh!!

Link to comment
On 07/18/2011 06:19 AM, Dannsar said:
Hey Frosty! You women! Always multitasking! :P

 

I am afraid that, for all that it is an interesting idea, all it told me was that Tyler is something of a dedicated and slightly neurotic dad (and yeah, I know that neurosis about the kids is a pre-requisite in a parent!! lol). But we already knew this. It's one of his endearing, if slightly frustrating, qualities. I suppose it kinda filled that out a wee bitty, and it was fun to read - especially the bit where it looks like Eli has slipped off early and gone for a beer!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

 

Now ... let's get back to the tension, eh!!

yeah.. well, I wasnt doing too well,so, the tension was something that wasnt building up too nicely in my head. instead of botching it up, i just decided to write of a simple day in their lives. I believe you will soon see why Tyler is neurotic about Eli. :) thanks for the review as always. I am trying to get back into the groove. :) i will.. soon. let me just get better! ;)
Link to comment

I like that you added Lugh's writing prompt about the shaved ape. It gave me a good laugh- I told my daughter about it and teased her about being an ape and not a real kid (hehehe) :P

 

Nice little chapter. I dont know any kid that just goes off to bed without being told to, well at least mine never does. Good job, but missing Scott/Tyler dynamics. :D

Link to comment
On 07/18/2011 08:18 AM, K.C. said:
I like that you added Lugh's writing prompt about the shaved ape. It gave me a good laugh- I told my daughter about it and teased her about being an ape and not a real kid (hehehe) :P

 

Nice little chapter. I dont know any kid that just goes off to bed without being told to, well at least mine never does. Good job, but missing Scott/Tyler dynamics. :D

:lol: Glad that you liked it. I am having a little trouble fining the ground for Tyler and Scott. hence the diversion. :) but i will get into THAT groove soon, or so i hope at least :P As for kids not going to bed without being told... uh, i think if they are as responsible as Eli is, who practically takes acre of TY, not the other way around, i think she might. I say might, because there was no way to confirm that she did go to bed, who knows, it maybe that she was really really quiet with her lappy, on the bed! ;)
Link to comment

So Eli is adopted? Hmm. Or so I am gathering from his panic after his dream. You continue to weave an interesting tale here Frosty. I can't wait to see where all this leads.

Link to comment
On 07/20/2011 03:48 PM, comicfan said:
So Eli is adopted? Hmm. Or so I am gathering from his panic after his dream. You continue to weave an interesting tale here Frosty. I can't wait to see where all this leads.
Eli is adopted? :o :o Why didnt someone tell me? :o oops.. sorry! i dunno... really.. just read on! :P i promise.. all in good time ^_^
Link to comment

Well, the ape thing certainly was a bit surreal, but I think you did enough to hint that it was a dream, then you made something out of it - part of his anxieties. So I think it worked well.

Link to comment
On 07/22/2011 07:34 PM, carringtonrj said:
Well, the ape thing certainly was a bit surreal, but I think you did enough to hint that it was a dream, then you made something out of it - part of his anxieties. So I think it worked well.
lol, yeah! 'Lyddle End' and 'Hornby', Most model railroaders would pick up on that! :P that could so easily have been my dream! This was just the prompt, tbh. But, Ty's anxiety is very real. we see exactly how bad things can get in his mind in the coming chapters.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..