Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 132 Words
  • 957 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry

Not A Legend - 1. Not A Legend

 
 
Not a Legend

For the things that you’ve done.
You won’t go down in history.
You won’t be a legend.

You are a hero though.
Because in your daughter’s eyes,
You’ve saved the world a thousand times.

Caught in the moments,
You always make them right.
And you’ve never raised a hand to fight.

You will never lead an army,
Or save many wounded souls,
You don’t have unbreakable strength.

But she will remember your eyes as kind,
The strength in your arms,
When the arms of others have faltered.

You can’t change the world,
Tame the monsters in her closet.
But you’ll still be her armored knight.

No, you won’t ever be a legend.
But in her eyes,
You’ll be the brightest of them all.

Discuss this poem

Copyright © 2011 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Who is to say what makes a legend. I have yet to hear one of the good father. Nice change on the message and I enjoyed it a lot.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

This is a great poem, and so fitting for a parent. That bond between father and daughter is very sacred. I'm so glad you shared this.

Link to comment

It's a curious thing, both practically and intellectually, that the writing of this little elegy actually, on the one hand, denotes the father figure as a legend in the making, so to be, and; on the other hand, sets him down in history, and therefore makes a legend of him.

 

This is a really nice little piece, written in an uncluttered sort of way, almost naive, but certainly simple. I heard a man talking on the radio tonight, reiterating that children often give you the truth as of fact, without the clutter of interposing narratives. This piece was rather like that.

 

I suppose, however, that I was a little disturbed, though, that you seemed to be denying the status of legend to the father, almost on behalf of the daughter. This brings an added dimension of interest, because it is contrary to the sentiment of the poem, even while existing. That in itself makes it a more provocative read, and further invigorates the question "why not?".

 

Actually, I think I'll put this in the discussion too, to see what others think. Meantime, thanks for this Krista. I'm currently embroidering a pillow for a baby due on December 27th, so my head is kinda in this space atm in other ways. Nice piece.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..